need the name of the piece that holds the shift cable

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

joelsm65

need the name of the piece that holds the shift cable

Post by joelsm65 »

i need the name of the piece that holds the shift cable on a 67' evinrude,not the end of the cable, but the piece that locks the cable to the side of the motor to move the shift linkage. i thought it was called a trunion, but i cant find it anywhere on ebay. any help would be appretiated, what i have setup keeps slipping , at the show i thought i had in reverse and gave it some gas, and well you can guess it went the opposite way i wanted to go to quick. i need help, if someone has an extra one ill buy it. thanks for any help. joel
leec

Post by leec »

What motor do you have? I have a spare OMC one, off a 35/40 hp.

Regards,

Lee
joelsm65

Post by joelsm65 »

its a 67' evinrude v4 60hp , thanks that would be great, let me know
joel
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

If you are asking about the little stainless steel double "U" shaped bracket that holds the control cable outer sheath to the motor housing... the OMC shop manual simply identifies these as " brackets" . There is a right and left one however marker as follows... "s" is stamped on the starboard bracket (shift) and "p" on the port (throttle).
It is very important that the shift cable be set up correctly. The lower unit clutch dogs must be fully engaged when the control lever is in drive ( or reverse) or damage to the teeth on the gears and dog will occure. Shifts must be made with a quick positive motion to ensure smooth sure engagement.
As w/ all things on vintage outboards , suggest getting hooked up w/ a local chapter of the Antique Outboard club (aomci.org )in your area ... the guys will be a big help in getting you set up properly.
Joe