Temporary Motor Stand/Motor removal

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Woody

Temporary Motor Stand/Motor removal

Post by Woody »

Looking for suggestions for a stand to hold 75 hp Evinrude while working on the boat. Nothing to elaborate. Nice if I could move it around and keep it out of my wife's (wives-no just kidding) way.
Whats this motor weigh?
Suggestions on removing from transom. Most of my friends have letters from their doctor's limiting lifting (I have not seen these letters). I may have to do this by myself.
Thanx
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I build motor stands from scrap lumber. Use lags or bolts and screws to fasten. Nails just don't do all that well. Buy casters and attatch to the bottom of the frame. Get casters as big as you can. The small ones just don't cut it very well.

Make the part where you will attach the motor the same angle as the transom.

I use a chain hoist to lift the motor. I have lifting rings in the ceiling of my garage. I do it all by my lonesome! Your OMC might have a lifting hook under the hood, which makes things simpler than if it were a Mercury.

I use the same lifting points and chain hoists to lift boats on and off trailers and dollies, etc...

The 1963 Evinrude Starflite 75 weighs 239 pounds and the Speedifour 75 weighs 222 pounds.

Andreas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Here's a great website with scans of old Johnson and Evinrude brochures. Lots of these include weights and other fun facts:

http://www.old-omc.de/

Andreas
john

Post by john »

If you have a jack on the trailer, lower it all the way. Then put a 6x6 (may need several)under the skeg. Raise jack, motor should rest on block and transom gets lower as bow is raised. Then lower engine to ground and let sit on back carrying handle and rear of cavitation plate. Made sure you put oil in spark plugs holes.