Homelite engine

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

txcaptdan

Homelite engine

Post by txcaptdan »

I have come upon a rebuilt Homelite 55 that I am thinking of mounting on my 20' Seacamper. Has anyone had any experience with these? They were rated for boats up to 23'.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Dan, I've not had any personal experience with these, but I know they have an avid albet limited following. Suggest you post your ? on the "ask a member" board of the Antique Outboard Club site. www.aomci.org

JoeB
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Miles Kapper had one for a short period of time. Send him a personal email.

I witnessed one running on a boat at a boat show a few years ago. It was smooth and very quite. I couldn't believe it was an old outboard motor!

There is a link to a Homelite site at www.fiberglassics.com

Andreas
lapstrakelouie

Homelite Ownership Experiences

Post by lapstrakelouie »

I have owned two Homelites and had them mounted on classic boats. The first was a 1965 mounted on a 1962 Cruisers, Inc 18" Seacamper. Although the motor was in great condition and I had the lower unit checked out it seemed to have a harmonic vibration at cruising speed. At idle or full throttle it was fine but at the relaxed cruising speed of 15-18 it made the hull strum like a guitar. Never found out what it was. Also the Homelite is mounted farther forward on it's mounting bracket than a conventional outboard so this engine will not tilt up and lock on a Cruisers, Inc 18' with the splash well and rear deck. I had to stick a 2 X 4 under it to tilt it for trailering. This boat ran 26 but I later found that it had a slight hook which would have reduced the speed. This boat also ran 26 with later installed Honda 50.
The next Homelite I bought rebuilt from 4 Cycle Economy Marine in Redding, California, probably the largest dealer of Homelites, he keeps about 45 in inventory. I bought a rebuilt and updated motor that cost $2250 with core deposit, shipping, controls, prop, the works. I mounted this on a 1963 17' Sea Lancer with an electricomechanical tilt and trim bracket and got 28 MPH at 5500 RPM. I loved this engine, it is civilized and very cutting edge for it's time. If you read Scott Stewart's Homelite page you will read that this motor ran with a 75 HP 2 stroke and out accelerated it and ran only 2-3 MPH slower. I don't believe that as I had a 1960 Cruisers, 16' Model 202 with a 1960 Evinrude 75 and it could be scary, top speed 35. The Homelite when updated with electronic ignition, hardened valves, electric fuel pump is a great engine. One report says it ran an 18" lapstrake 200 miles offshore along the Miami coast and averaged 25 MPH! I you want a cool retro engine in the 50 HP range give a Homelite a try. They turn up on ebay, a nice one will cost $600-800. They are having a resurgance due to some states banning 2 strokes, hence 4 Cycle Economy Marine's continued business. You won't miss the 2 stroke smoke until you miss it. And it sounds like an engine should!