Evinrude Selector Switch Assembly replacement

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Woody

Evinrude Selector Switch Assembly replacement

Post by Woody »

My Selector is questionable. It is held together with electricians tape. There is a selector on ebay that has a different part number than indicated in my parts manual. Does anyone know if these are interchangeable?
My part # 278421
ebay # 279091
They look similar.
Does anyone have a source for these parts?
Shaun E.

Post by Shaun E. »

From the factory they were coverd with rubber and stapled to a cardboard backing by the terminals. That part unfortunetly went NLA back in the ninetys and there are two different switches, one for electrc shift and one for hydroelectric shift so when searching for a used one I would suggest finding one with the same number so you get the right one. You might want to try looking for older omc dealers because alot of them still have old obsolete parts laying around.
Shaun E.

Post by Shaun E. »

What motor do you have? horsepower/model number?
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Find the oldest dealer you can find, on my 63 Johnson I broke off the plastic idle arm and went to an old dealer in my town and he had one sitting on shelf! 15.00 I am always amazed at what they pull out of the back, there are just a few of us left looking for those parts and they are happy to get rid of them. I have an old controller like you need but I checked it and switch box is in bad shape. Good luck!
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Woody,

When i ordered copies of original owners and shop manuals for Ken Cook in Milwaukee I received a list of dealers around the country that handle new and used parts for Evinrude and johonson motors and stern drives. I think the closest one to you would be Boater's Paradise 2237 E Victory Drive Thunderbolt, Ga. 31403 phone 912-354-7759.

If you have not already ordered manuals I would sugest you do. You can do it online at www.kencook.com order by model and series number and see if they have a new list of dealers that handle parts for old motors. My list is dated 1/1/1998.

Good luck,

Phill
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Woody, If that switch is the one I'm thinking of, you may have a real problem finding one. I just looked on eBay to see if I could find a pic of the one you referenced... what came up said list price of $500 and a "deal" at $300.00 ... that's crazy! If you have no luck locally , suggest a free wanted ad on www.aomci.org.
I once had a motor that had a broken selector switch ( 1970 Evin 60 hp hydro shift) and I managed to repair it... had to machine a new rotor arm shaft and other micro surgical operations, but it worked.
Joe B
john

Post by john »

Look on www.aomci.org here is a complete control box for $30 listed march 5 it is in free clasifieds.