Question about tach wiring

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Michael J. Seiber

Question about tach wiring

Post by Michael J. Seiber »

I have an Air Guide tach and I can't get it to work. It has two wires coming out of it. Yellow and Brown. It came with the boat and was hooked up but I don't know if it ever worked. I don't see anywhere that you can set it for different pulses. Is it missing a part? I see where some of the older ones had a pulse box that came with them. Can anyone help. Thanks Mike
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

My air glide has the pulse settings right on the back of the tack.

Are you getting any reading at all? Or is the reading you are getting incorrect?
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
2qwk4u442

Post by 2qwk4u442 »

Hi Mike, Any chance you know the model number of the Airguide Tach? Some of them will have a small round sticker on the backside with a number on it. Even if not that type of sticker, Are there ANY stickers or markings on the back of the gauge ?
Also, what motor are you hooking into with the tach? Is it Magneto, or Battery / Coil ?
2 cycle or 4 ? How many cylinders? What year motor ?

I have bought, traded and sold many many Airguide Tach's over the past ten years. I have kept a copy of all the instructions, that were with any of the gauges I bought. Most that I've bought were New Old Stock in the original boxes. I think I can help you figure this out - but I need more info from you..... And/Or can you post a picture of the front and back of the gauge ?? that would help too!
<b>"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, create it.”</b>
<i>-Sir Henry Royce</i>