My new (to me) Twin 1959 Evinrude Lark Golden Jubilees

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Cruiser Bob

My new (to me) Twin 1959 Evinrude Lark Golden Jubilees

Post by Cruiser Bob »

I just bought a 1958 18' Cruisers Inc that came with the above mentioned motors. I was going to sell them and put a 60 hp 4 stroke yamaha on the boat (mechanics is not my strength). Several people have informed me that these are rare motors and worthy of keeping. They run strong, and are original to the boat with all controls and (4) Evinrude 6 gal. tanks. If I keep these motors, are they difficult to work on? What about parts availability? I'm willing to learn, but I feel I might be gettng in over my head. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
Bob
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Bob,

Owners manuals are still available from Ken Cook Co. out of Milwaukee, Wi. Web site is www.kencook.com. Parts availablity is limited but they are available depending on where you live there most likely is someone in the area that has parts available.

It is nice to see original period motors on period boats. I have 1957 Evinrudes for my two Thompson's for the early 50's and wopuld not want anything else on them.

Good Luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Keep 'em, keep 'em, keep 'em!

If ya want a new 4 stroke, go buy a new boat to stick it on. I know this is coming on strong, but this is my opinion.

NAPA and other auto parts stores have many parts for old outboards. www.aomci.org is a great place to get info. on old outboards.

I have twin 1957 Johnson 35 HP motors on my '57 Thompson (Peshtigo) Sea Lancer.

Andreas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Here's a pic of the twins

Andreas
john

Post by john »

Probably the best engines Eninrude ever built, parts are easy. Easier than getting parts for much newer engines. Very easy to work on. Will drink twice the gas or more of a new 4 stroke. I own several 40hp 1960 Evinrudes, very similar to your 35, great engines.

I own a new 25 4 stroke Merc, same top speed as 40hp, a little less acceration, but 25 has much better reverse thrust. New 25 goes 3 times as far on a tank of fuel. Idles much better and is very quite. Odd thing is the new 25 is 157 ounds, old 40 Evinrude is 137 pounds. I love both. Use the 40 for show and 25 for every day. A new 50 4 stroke may be plenty of power.

I would not call them rare, because of the number still running most any part can be found easily. Engines are cheap 300/500 in good cndition. Many parts engines are available for 100/200. They hardly ever break.

Saddest part, they may be illegal to run in California, due to polution laws!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do decide to sell the rig, the new engine will not get close to recovering your money.

I would keep them anyway, just for shows. Use the 4 stroke for everyday use.
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

A big ditto to everything Lancerboy and John said. I'm running a 1961 Evinrude 75 hp on my Sea Lancer... running around out on lake Huron and Erie. In other words I trust this very reliable motor. I also have a 1957 Evinrude Lark 35 hp on an Aluminum Lone Star, we were out on Lake Huron yesterday, reliability is a must on the big lakes.
Be sure you understand the implications of any environmental restrictions however.
Also, if you go with the classic motors be sure to get hooked up with the Antique Outboard Motor Club chapter nearest to you. www.aomci.org A big help with knowledge / parts / maintenance

Joe B
Cruiser Bob

Ok! OK! I'll keep the Larks

Post by Cruiser Bob »

Due to an onslaught of feedback, I have decided to keep and restore the motors. It is a great look, but I'm not mechanical. I've posted some pics of the stern at photobucket.com/cruisersincbob
Thanks for the feedback and advice!
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Cruiser Bob,

A couple firms that used to have parts available for Evinrude's in California are: Wright Motors 214 N Sacremento St Lodi, Ca and Better Way Marine 650 N Batavia Orange, Ca. there are also a couple in Nevada also. Flanders Cycle & Marine in Carson City and Paul's Hobby Outboard in Zephry Cove.
Owners manuals, parts catalogs and shop manuals are available from Ken Cook Co in Milwaukee, WI on line at www.kencook.com . These are a big help when working on your motors.

Good Luck,

Phill
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Hey guys, in the picture at the top of the thread, whose boat with the Merc on it with the content looking gut sitting it in? It looks like it has flip seats, and I have never been able to find pictures or an example of the Drivers side flip seat that my Cortland Sea Lancer supposedly came with.

As for the classic engine - good decision to keep. My merc draws as much commentary as the boat itself. If I could afford a newer 4 stroker, I'd also have one for everyday and have the '62 Merc for shows and the occasional runabout cruise.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The boat in front of mine belonged to Duke VanEck. It is a '62 Peshtigo Sea Coaster Runabout. I think she has front bench seat only. He is sitting in a lawn chair. He sold the boat a year or more ago.

The photo was taken at the Lake Geneva Classic Boat Show a few years ago.

Andreas
2qwk4u442

Post by 2qwk4u442 »

KEEP THEM !!!!! USE THEM !!!!
They make your boat / engine combo more desirable and unique!!!

I also have twin 1959 Golden Jubilee 35 Hp Larks, sequential serial numbered and the original motors for my 1960 Thompson.....Search my user name here on the board - Im restoring the motors now (boat too) - I havent posted much, but there are some pix.....
Anyway ~ I really dont think there were more than 25% of the boats back then that came original with twins (someone here can correct me) but my point is that there sure are not allot that are still around today. Some peeps have added a second outboard to have twins - but your setup is original!! And if so, I would expect sequential serialized. TOO COOL!!! In my opinion, you have an awesome and I would say pretty rare setup ~ Keep it that way!! If the motors are in good running condition, just use them.... If they need some help ~ parts are DEFINATELY out there.... I've amassed New Old Stock parts for practitly the entire motors and LOWER units !!! It is more expensive then when I started 7-8 years ago..... But still reasonable for parts (some of which havent been made in 40 years) - And YES the stuff is out there! pretty amazing, but it is. I just saw a NEW OLD STOCK engine block a few weeks ago.
And dont get overly worried about the age of the motors - These things were very, very, VERY well built! I was very shocked as I rebuilt mine.
I'd love to keep in touch with you, being that you have about the same set-up as mine!!
<b>"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, create it.”</b>
<i>-Sir Henry Royce</i>
2qwk4u442

Post by 2qwk4u442 »

Bob, Checked out your photos! Look great!

Yours are 1958 35hp Larks, everything that has been said about the 1959's are the same for the 1958's. Great motors!

But the 1959's are the Gloden Jubilee model for Evinrudes 50th anniversery. Not really any motor difference at all, just different hoods emblems and paint.
The 1958 Hoods are the last of the metal alum. hood on the 35hp, 1959 were fiberglass.
My fathers Lyman boat has the same motors, Twin 1958 35Hp's, also original on his boat.
Enjoy that classic!
<b>"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, create it.”</b>
<i>-Sir Henry Royce</i>
gjonz

Keep'em!

Post by gjonz »

I just rebuilt two 1956 Johnson 30hp, one being a nice Javelin. They run great. I put a lot of new parts in mine. Most of the new-old-stock parts I got were from Sea-Way Marine in Seattle.

I even put NOS oversized pistons in the Javelin. Sea-Way had everything I needed.

Good luck!

Greg
Greg Jones
Master of the "Fibber McGee" 1950 Thompson TVT Lake 14 foot cedar strip runabout.