Similar motors to get parts from for 1958 Evinrude Lark 35

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Cruiser Bob

Similar motors to get parts from for 1958 Evinrude Lark 35

Post by Cruiser Bob »

I know that the 35 platform has been used for many years. However, I m not sure what years would be a "bolt on and off" replacements to use as parts for my 58's. Any guidance would be helpful.
Thanks,
Bob
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Bob, there is an excellent forum at www.fiberglassics.com - the folks there are very helpful and will probably be able to help you out.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The 57 and 58 OMC 35 HP motors are all pretty much the same: Johnson, Evinrude, and Gale. So most likely any parts can be interchanged.

The "JEGO" forum is part of www.fiberglassics.com as Peter mentioned above. That's a good place to start. Also, there is an excellent forum at www.aomci.org

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Careful... somewhere around 1958 or 59' OMC went to a thermostatic controlled cooling system. With that up grade a lot of parts changed from the earlier motors. I'd say the best place to ask is the aomci "ask - a - member" forum. Include engine model numbers in your post to ensure accurate info.
Joe B
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Cruiser Bob,

Some of the componets on Evinrude & Johnson in those years are not interchangeable. When I needed to replace the flywheel on my 1957 Evinrude Big Twin 35 a Johnson flywheel would not work. Your best bet is to contact your local Evinrude dealer and the Antique Outbard Motor Club to check which parts are interchangeable and which are not.

Good Luck,

Phill