1962 Volvo-Panta I/O

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

LancerBoy

1962 Volvo-Panta I/O

Post by LancerBoy »

Does anyone know much about the Volvo-Penta Inboard/Outboards? There is a 1962 Thompson (Peshtigo) Sea Lancer with one of these drives. The outdrive is Volvo-Penta Model LPZ. There also is the number 9200 on the outdrive.

What is the make of the engine? There are NO markings on it other than the "Volvo-Panta" on the manifold.

The control panel on the dashboard has the Volvo-Penta name on it. The throttle and shift controls say Chrysler.

What HP might this be? The '62 brochure says 80 HP and 100 HP were available for the Sea Lancer.

Reliability???? Parts for the outdrive?????

An inquiring mind wants to learn!

Andreas
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Andreas,
That engine began development in 1957 and finally reached production in '62 (I think). It was used in the Volvo P1800 sports car (Simon Templar-the Saint fame). The motor was called a model B18 and produced 100hp with twin SU carbs. The version in that boat is the 80hp with just one carb.
The motors were extremely reliable because they were "de-tuned" from a max HP capabilty, so they weren't stressed much. Parts for them are easy to find through the auto hobby.
I don't know anything about parts availability for the outdrive though. I'm glad you're looking into that boat that I sent you the link for. I think the Thompson I/Os from that era are very rare and desirable. I would love to own one myself.

Verne :D
woodpigs

Post by woodpigs »

Andreas
The engine looks just like mine, If so it is a Volvo B16A with a Zenith 34 VN carb. The B16B & D motor had 2, SU H4 Carbs for a bit more HP. The M18 Volvo motor ran side draft carbs (as compared with the B16's down draft). Some parts are available from british restoration outlets as well as NAPA for oil filter (Part # 1304), distributor cap etc., also go to: www.vp-autoparts.com , for rebuild parts (Pistons, rings, ETC.). The outdrive looks to ba a Penta Aquamatic AQ80. Parts are rare but can be found. I have a few. I have the original parts diagram that I can copy to PDF and email you if you need. Best regards, Rami.
1961 Thompson Offshore
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

If I end up getting the rig, I'll take you up on copies. Thanks for the offer.

Andreas
woodpigs

Post by woodpigs »

Here is the wiring diagram (from original). Rami.
1961 Thompson Offshore