rebuilding a bb70 engine

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

peters52

rebuilding a bb70 engine

Post by peters52 »

i am in the process of restoring a 1961 thompson with an i/o engine, am i able to use automotive gaskets and carb rebuild kits for this engine.
curious in canada
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Peters52,

Would need to know more about the make of the I/O before anyone could advise what is best. Is it a Merc, OMC or what? With that info you should be able to go back to the manufacturer to determine if parts and manuals are available from them or with that info you can cehck to see if you can get them from an auto parts store. NAPA carries some of the items needed for these I/O's, but it depends on the manufacturer.

Good Luck,

Phill
peters52

rebuilding a bb70 engine

Post by peters52 »

sorry phill, the engine is a volvo/penta,not sure what leg is.i think it is the same engine they used in 60's era volvo 544's.if so i can get replacement parts in south carolina. peter
woodpigs

Post by woodpigs »

Peter, here are a couple of websites to try, one is from Sweden and ships world wide. The other is in the USA.
http://www.cvi-automotive.se/webshop/
http://www.vp-autoparts.com/
Oil filters can be found at NAPA auto parts for the volvo B16 engine listed in the catalogs for the Volvo PV & Duett model cars vintage 1960.
Best regards and good hunting, Rami.
1961 Thompson Offshore
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

As far as I know, the 1961 Volvo/Penta I/O would have both engine and outdrive made by Volvo/Penta.

It's either a 80 HP or if she has duel carbs she may be 100 HP.

I can't hep you with finding parts.

Andreas