How do you store (3) engines for 2 to 3 years?

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Cruiser Bob

How do you store (3) engines for 2 to 3 years?

Post by Cruiser Bob »

I have a 59 Cruisers Inc 502 18 foot that I have torn apart. I also have twin 58 35 hp Evinrudes Larks that came with it, and I just bought (yesterday) a 57 Johnson 35 hp Javelin Gold edition (I'm still on the prowl for another one). All are in great shape and run on the fitst pull. I'm not going to start on the motors until the boat is completed. I estimate another two years for that. How do I store them? Do I start them periodically, or bag them? The gold Javelin is way too cool.............
Thanks
Bob
john

Post by john »

Run engines on boat for a few minutes, on trailers spray engine fogging oil in carb to choke out engine on oil, drain carb and blown out fuel lines, I run engines supper rich on oil, maybe 12 to 1 instead of 24 to 1, also run a a very rich mixture of gas stabilizer. Pull plugs and spray heavy dose of fogging oil, rotate engine and install plus. Engine will drip alot of heavy black oil out exhaust.

Should be good for more than 2 years. Store inside in a dry place, a/c and heat is best but not required.