Handling Bar

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dan Wolf

Handling Bar

Post by Dan Wolf »

On my 40 HP Johnson I have a bar on the back that I was told was for handling the motor. Does it stay on, or do you take it off when motor is on boat? Or is it just preference..Dan
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Dan,

You leave the bar on the motor. I have Evinrudes and they have the same feature. Never know when you might need to remove the motor from the boat.

Good Luck,

Phill
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

On or off, your preference ... just two bolts. If the motor is an electric start with all the associated wire hook-up, and not likly to removed often , I prefer removing the handle... looks cleaner. Just my $0.02 worth.
Joe B
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

Thanks guys. I usually have them on but thought I'd see what it looks like withthem off. I use them a bit when I put the boat in and out of water. You know, something to hold on too when I guide the motor into the transom saver. I wouldn't have to worry about water getting in those bolt holes would I? Dan
john

Post by john »

Great for a hand hold when coming over transom, at the beach! I like them on.
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

Yeah, I think I'll just leave them on. I would be taking a chance on loosing the parts too. Got on the Chain-O-Lakes yesterday. It was raining but still had good time cruising with the top up!!