I/O Availability

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

RayB

I/O Availability

Post by RayB »

There is a 19' Sea Lancer available nearby (Michigan's Eastern U.P.) for a ridiculously cheap price. It is probably cheap for a reason - there is no I/O engine or lower unit. The hull and transom appear to be in good condition other than the need for refinishing and repainting. All of the top sides, however, have been exposed for a long time and need to be rebuilt. Also there is nothing in the interior - no seats, engine box, etc.

I'm confident I could handle the wood work, but the lack of an I/O unit is scaring me away. I have no idea at all about the availability or the cost of a new or used replacement. The instrument cluster on the dashboard says Volvo Penta. That is the only clue as to what was once there.

I would appreciate any comments, advice, or suggestions if I were to take this project on.

Ray B.
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

How about converting her over to an outboard set up?
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Big Ray

Post by Big Ray »

Take a look thru your local Craigs List. You might be able to score something there.
I would guess that a 120 Mercruiser would be a nice choice.

Good luck.

Ray
1962 Lyman, 16' O/B
1964 Grady White, 16.5' O/B
1967 Lyman, 16' I/O
1956 Chris Craft, 17' Sportsman
Stevea

Inboard Outboard

Post by Stevea »

I have a 1964 thompson 20 foot offshore with a 150hp merc cruiser that my dad bought new i would like to sell it needs some wood work done it is complete with trailer motor and drive are rebuilt winter 2008 used boat last labor day cant do wood work with the economy ive been laid off dont want to see the boat ruined sitting on the trailer until i can get it fixed would sell it to someone that ithought was going to fix it and enjoy it my sister got married in the boat so it means alot to me to see someone use it as to go to waste email Steve.boats@gmail.com if interested steve
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

From what you describe, it should be free or they should pay you to take it away!

Andreas
RayB

Post by RayB »

Thanks for the responses.

He was asking $600 O.B.O. I think "free or pay to take away" probably is the best offer. Although it sure would be fun to restore, I keep seeing more problems including an old trailer that is probably undersized for that boat.

Ray B.