engine info

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jim hays

engine info

Post by jim hays »

me again guys mh loaded ready to go in the morning. what IM after is some input on what I should put on my 59 Sea Coaster for power it came with a 71 or 72 evenrude (triumph 65hp) the thing is I dont want to waste my time rebuilding something that I fell is a boat anchor and with the new laws on 2cyl a lot of the lakes have already started not allowing the older engines on them. My experience has been with a honda 45 (was the largest I could by at the time) used on a hewes craft 16ft sea runner. Was a little under powered but with just me in the boat and the (boss) it worked just fine. Im not interested in doing 100mph, I fish Im considering looking for another one if it will fill the bill, the current boat weighs less than half of what the hewes weighed. Some boaat designs dont allow you to use small hp need requirement to plane the boat. Anyway guys Im open to what suggestions are avaliable Im not going to just stick to a honda 4cl will consider others includeing the new 2cy. thanks jim
Monhegan

Honda sounds good. What about vintage Homelite?

Post by Monhegan »

I have not heard of existing motors being banned from lakes. I have heard of some lakes using "biodegradable oil". Mercury has it for special order.

As far as motors go, the Honda 45 should perform very similar to the Triumph triple. The methods of rating power has changed over the years so the using the same scale, the Triumph which was a 55 hp I think? Anyway they used to rate the motor at the crank-shaft and subtract (not count) drag from all attachments including alternator and waterpump. Now, and at least since 1990 or so, power is rated at the propeller, so includes all losses from water pump, gear drag, alternator and so forth. So under new ratings the 55 triumph would be about 47 hp it seems.

Before spending tons of money on a Honda, if you are at all a do-it yourselfer, take a look at a vintage Homelite-Bearcat 4 cycle. It is old and won't have any star ratings but again, I don't think it matters for old existing engines. Do an internet search for Homelite outboard. There is a guy who sells and supports rebuilt LIKE NEW motors with controls for less than 2 grand. They do NOT have power trim. If you want that you will have to use a power trim bracket. They have those in Overtons about $600 for hydraulic bracket. The Homelite is Fantastic on a lake. Not good for salt water, they have some cast-iron in the block.

Know this is from August but maybe you will check.

cheers
a j r

Post by a j r »

Numerous lakes do not allow 2 stroke engines any longer. Lake Tahoe is one example. This is a trend that is spreading. So, our old outboards are being aced out of some areas.

Andreas
Monhegan

Inteligence and Freedom in America

Post by Monhegan »

a j r wrote:Numerous lakes do not allow 2 stroke engines any longer. Lake Tahoe is one example. This is a trend that is spreading. So, our old outboards are being aced out of some areas.

Andreas
I stand corrected.

This could (and I sure has) lead to a very strong debate. For example, in the regulated automobiles, I understand that newest "clean" cars like say, a Honda Accord, actually deliver an exhaust that is CLEANER than the air naturally surrounding the vehicle. This is especially true in the L.A. area. Further, I understand that a single "old" car, basically anything that is NOT three way catalyst, and Computer Controlled (with O2 sensor) pollutes more than 100 or more new vehicles. Older rigs, with carburetors can easily be polluting the air more than 1000 new vehicles for the same miles of operation. One thousand to One!!! In LA, it has clearly been shown that the photochemical SMOG situation is a health hazard, reduces quality of life for millions, and reduces lifespan even being identifiable as a cause of death!!

Yet to my knowledge nobody has banned an older car from the road, even in LA. It is a good question why not. Is it because there are too many people who could not afford a late-model (less than 5 years old), and so such a ruling would look like an attack on poor people?

But on the lakes, I guess it is just easy to say that everybody who launches a boat is----- Rich! And of course anybody who wants to go boating should be a rich person. So it is no hardship at all to require everyone to go purchase a brand new outboard motor. All poor people to be BANNED from the Lake Tahoe region. After all, these regulations are put out by people who for the most part do not operate pleasure boats anyway, rather are interested in seeing their exclusive property become more exclusive and double, triple in value and more, the home-built hunting camp turning into a 10 million dollar retreat-------- and if regulations like this get boats--- and those unseemly riff-raff lower-class kind of people off the lakes, bring those regulations on. And then some!

Of course, don't be surprised if down the road, only shorefront property owners are permitted to even have a powerboat on the lakes. Then you will see the real agenda--- but too late for the rest of us.