1962 Penta AQ 100 Question

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Eric Larsen

1962 Penta AQ 100 Question

Post by Eric Larsen »

I recently acquired a 1962 Sea Lancer with a Penta engine, similar to those in the P1800 automobile. The manual calls for SAE 20W for temperatures above 0^C. I don't know why they even spec the 10W for temperatures below freezing as it is a boat. Anyway, I've searched high and low for SAE 20W and can't seem to find it at the obvious places like Autozone, Fleet Farm, etc. Does anyone have a good experience with a multi-viscosity? Any easy place to find straight up 20W? Its easier to find engine parts. As its a flat tappet engine, I don't want to screw this up. Even though it should be very simple. Does anyone use oil additives? Back in the day they added zinc and lead to oil for the tappets. Thanks in advance for helping a noobie.--Eric.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Eric,

Fleet Farm used to have straighht weight oils in their store brand the last I looked for some. Did you ask the clerk if they any available?
Multi weights work well and the synthetic's are great. I would say if you used a 10W-30 in one of the synthetic's you would be safe for the average temps we have in the states. You might want to also add a lead substitue to your gas w when running the new lead free fuels to lube the valves.
Your comment about their adding lead and zinc in the oil years ago I am not sure about the lead. Zinc dithiophosphate and zinc dialkyl dithio phosphate have been used as a additive in oils. But lead was added to gasoline to lubricate the valve seats and it also help eliminate the "ping" that happened with lower octane gasolines in combustion engines.

Good Luck,

Phill
Eric Larsen

Post by Eric Larsen »

Ed, Thanks. I think you are correct and I am mistaken about the lead. I do run a lead substitute in the fuel. I did ask the store clerk and he couldn't find the straight SAE 20W either. Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing any Fleet Farm branded lubricants.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Eric,

You need to look at Fleet Farm again and check for the Resolute brand and I think Fleet Farms brand goes by the name of Farm Life or something like that.

You will not find any of the national brands at Fleet Farm in a single wieght of SAE 20 to my knowledge. If there is a bulk oil dealer in your area they might have straight weight oils but it would be in case lots most likely. They are still our there but no easy to find because no one wnat to carry something on the shelf if it does not move quickly. Oh how I wish there where still the old Mom & Pop stores around that catered to their customers reather then only the bottom line.

Good Luck,

PHILL
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

It's a car engine. You will be fine running a 10-30 or 10-40 weight in it all through the season. The original oil spec was made loooooooong before modern oils were developed. You might even consider Shell's Rotella with a higher level of zinc to help wear issues on the cam and valve train.

Verne :D