1967 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

THE LAKE

1967 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor

Post by THE LAKE »

Just picked up a 1967 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor in running condition. Serial # J2716624. Model # is ( I believe) VATL-13. What can anyone tell me about this engine ?
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

THE LAKE,

You might want to try contacting someone on the Antique and Classic Outboard site rather then here. www.aomci.org
More people involves with outboards there then here.

Goof Luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

You can find brochures for Johnsons and Evinrude at www.old-omc.de

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

JALL,

You can also obtain copies of the original owners, parts & service manuals for Johnson outboards and I/O's from Ken Cook Co. in Milwaukee, WI. as well as many other manufacturers motors from 1979 and older.
Their website is: www.kencook.com

They also have a list of firms through out the country that have parts available. In most case these parts are old new stock, but they also have access to used parts.

I have purchased all these manuals for my 1957 Evinrude's and they are very helpful.

Good Luck,

Phill
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Yes.. what Phill said ! and you had best change the water pump impeller if the motor has been sitting for several years. You don't want chunks of broken impeller blades plugging up the cooling system. If all else looks good perhaps just a cleaning of the fuel system and new spark plugs may be all that's needed.
Good luck and welcome aboard

Joe B
john

Post by john »

Owned a new 1968 100 back then, lots better fuel economy than old 75 with same cubic inches. Great gear case, lots of performance.

Problem was first year for electonic ignition, but 1966 100 with old fashion points should fit.

Overall great engine, parts should be easy!
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

Phill Blank wrote:THE LAKE,

You might want to try contacting someone on the Antique and Classic Outboard site rather then here. www.aomci.org
More people involves with outboards there then here.

Goof Luck,

Phill
Thanks for the lead to another forum Phil. I'm on this one because said motor is mounted on a 1965 Cruiser's Inc 18ft runabout. Andreas has been incredibly helpful with tips on how to determine exactly what I've got for a boat. Although I have several examples of 1965 Cruiser's Inc boats that look like mine (well what it should look like LOL) until I locate the elusive hull number I can't be sure. I've already seen that the New Hampshire registration I got from the previous owner is about as useless as a - - - - - -- - Anyway, I figured this thread would be a good place to discuss whether or not the Golden Meteor was a good fit for my boat. I should have stated that in the beginning - - - My bad.

Brian
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I have a 1966 Evinrude 100 HP on my 1966 Chris-Craft by Thompson 17'-6" Corsair Sport V. This is a sister motor to the Johnson 100 HP. The guts were the same but the outer shell and colours were different between the two brands. Not sure what changes OMC made between 1966 models and those from 1967.

Motors were NOT installed at the boat factory. Motors were installed at dealerships.

I gulped down 11 gallons of fuel yesterday. Me and a six year old kid in the boat. Running pretty fast for a couple of hours! We were going wide open a few times "racing" a 1952 Chris-Craft U-22 Sportsman inboard (think "On Golden Pond" film boat) with a big V-8. We got left in the wake!

FUN FUN FUN on the water!!!! That's what it's all about!!!!

Andreas
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

I found a copy of Popular Science that spoke to the introduction of the model line-up of all the outboard Mfgrs in 67. The biggest thing was that most had gone to a version of what we now call electronic ignition. Also I guesss the green paint of the lower unit on the Johnson's was a new thing. In any event, I'm glad to hear that 100hp is not too big for an 18ft boat. I had no idea what the proper engine size was but my outboard guy had said the Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor is a kick-ass engine HOWEVER, it gulps fuel like a thirsty camel. He predicts 10gph knowing my heavy throttle hand. By contrast, my 190hp 4.3l V6 in my nearly 3,000lb Mach I averages 5gph. And, from what I've been told the Johnson needs 90 octane or better to run properly. That V6 I/O runs better on 87 octane than 90-91. Anyway, great post Andreas. I love reading about not only the care and maintenance of these old boats but stories of people using them as they were intended !

Brian
john

Post by john »

Brain

I did own a 1968 100 Evinrude, put better than 500 hours on it, in the 2 1/2 years I owned it. It was the first new outboard I purchased. I was a junior in high school at the time, lots of sking time.

I was an certified factory trained Evinrude mechanic in high school and under grad school. The main difference in the 66, 67, and 68, was the ignition system. The 66 had a conventional distributor with points and condensor and was the batery type, not a magneto. The distrubor was belt driven, very simple and easy to work on. The 1967 had the first electronic pointless ignition system, housed in a conventional looking belt driven distributor. The 1968 100 had electronic pointless ignition system mounted under the flywheel, more like the engines today. The 67 and 68 had more than their fair share of ignition problem, maybe because no one knew how to work on them. When they went down it was not cheap.

The 100's were very fuel effient, most all outboards burn 1 gal per hour per 10 hp, so a 100hp could burn 10 gph. A 50 woould burn 5 gph. A 190 hp stern drive will burn about 17 gph both at wot. Hardly anyone runs an engines that hard. I averaged 3 gpm water sking on a 16' Larson, top speed was about 36.

Overall a great engine!
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

I ordered and recieved an orginal Johnson 1967 Owner's Manual from i-boats along with a service/parts manual for same. The service/parts manual was written in recent years and I believe that to be a plus because it seems to include information on what the cantankerous issues with these big two strokes were.

This is an edit in case you might have already read this post. The above mentioned owner's manual shows as an available option (in 1967) for my Golden Meteor, power tilt. Does anyone know how I might possibly find the parts involved 43 years later ? So far since joining this site, you folks have proven to be vertible treasure hunters so I figured I'd give this a shot.

Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)