Engine swap?

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

richnle

Engine swap?

Post by richnle »

I am finishing up restoring a 1962 Penn Yan Baltic 16ft rated for 70 HP. It has a 1983 Johnson 70Hp engine (now on a stand). The engine runs fine, but I would prefer to have a period engine on it. I have a neighbor willing to sell me a very well cared for 1965 Johnson 75 HP. He took it off his T & T (beautiful boat by the way) at the urging of his wife who wanted a new engine on the boat. He is very meticulous about everything, and I am confident that this engine is as good as it gets for its age. He has all the original controls and steering which would go with the engine. He says it weighs 237 lbs. He also added power trim/tilt so it might be another 5 - 10 lbs heavier. I am not sure how heavy my 70 hp is, but I would guess about 20 - 30 lbs lighter. The boat weighs approx 640 lbs w/o the engine. I would appreciate any thoughts on whether I should do the swap or not. Thanks!

Rich
john

Post by john »

Weight should not make a difference, however gas will be most likely 3 times as much. Top speed with drop about 3 to 5 mph with the old 75.

I would still go with the 75 for show and the 70 for every day boating. they use the same holes and steering, it is an hour swap from one engine to other.

I run both a 1960 40 hp on mine for every day use and a 1960 75hp for show. The 75 uses almost 2 times the gas as the 40.
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

You don't mention how often you plan to use this boat, how patient you are etc etc. I say this because you'd be trading an engine with electronic ignition for one without and that's a big thing if you want a hassel free boating experince. Also, if you want a period engine why not try to locate a 62 same as the boat ? Not trying to be a wise guy, just asking.

Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)
john

Post by john »

The 1973 70hp did have their problems with the electroic ignition system. I was a Evinrude factory trained mechanic back then, the 75 were more dependable. Gas was biggest isue. The 70 hp was faster and had more low end thrust.
richnle

Post by richnle »

I took a close look at the engine Saturday, and under the hood,the engine appears to be in remarkable condition. I'd love to find a '62, but in the meantime, the nearby location of this engine combined with its appearance and my knowing the only owner of it (who is very meticulous), tells me this is worth picking up. He used it until 3 years ago and said it was running flawlessly, and probably has less than 100 hours on it.

My previous boat had a 1966 80hp Johnson that had more wear on it, so I am completely aware of and comfortable with the fuel consumption and maintenance considerations. I am planning on following John's advice and will keep the '83 Johnson, at least until I become completely comfortable and confident in the old engine.

Thank you all for your comments.

Rich
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Hi Rich,

You said that you wanted a "period correct" motor for your '62 boat. Suppose your boat was still sitting on the dealer's floor in Sept. '62 when the new '63 motors came out? Your boat could have easily had a '63 motor on it when new.
My unrestored original '60 Sea Coaster has it's original '58 Evinrude on it that it was sold new with.Explanation: Left over motor at the dealer and an early built boat.

Verne
richnle

Post by richnle »

Excellent point. That is one reason I am not hung up on finding an engine from 1962 only. The '65 engine will look perfectly matched with the boat.

Rich