final engine plans

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Thomas Mackin

final engine plans

Post by Thomas Mackin »

My 58 Sea Lancer has a rebuilt and reinforced transom and has a great straight bottom. Had Norton Boat works in GReen Lake Wi. do some of the work. It will have teleflex steering and must have tilt and trim due to my lake chain. I have decided to spring for a new 75 white E Tec but still a bit concerned about the weight (320). my other choice is a rebuilt Johnson 70 from the 90's which is about (250 lbs.) I am very impressed with the 75 E Tec. My last post somebody recommended it. If I buy it now it comes with a 5 year warranty! Another member had my boat with a 88 hp. Johnson which he liked but said the t/ t is needed. About the same weight as the new 75. Any final thoughts?
Big Mac
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

The E-tec is a wonderful engine from what I understand, but 320 lbs wow!
My 57 Sea Lancer sports a vintage 1961 75 hp Evinrude that goes 240 lbs., I my opinion that's about all the weight that I would like to see hanging on the back. Now this opinion is based on my view of accetable trim, nothing to do with the structural condition of the transom.
Just my $0.02, I'm sure others wil chime in with their expierences.
Joe B
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

My 55 Off Shore has twin 1957-35 HP Johnsons that weigh in at about 150lbs each.
So we are talking 300lbs. They have been on the boat since late 50's and the transom shows no sign of any problems. And I don't believe that there was any extra reinforcement done to the Transom.
Karl.