Vavle for switching fuel tanks

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

John Hart

Vavle for switching fuel tanks

Post by John Hart »

I have a 1960 Johnson, and two vintage 6 gallon fuel tanks. Rather than checking one tank all the time, or running out, switching the hose and re-priming, I am looking for recommendations to either

1) Connect a hose from each tank to a ball valve so that both hoses can be primed and a quick flip of the valve will keep me underway or

2) Just draw from both tanks all the time, and just make sure I have a small backup can in case I run both dry at the same time.

I have one complete hose assembly, so I am wondering if anyone has experience with the most economical way to do something like the above, before I start buying hoses and fittings and designing as I go...

John.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I can tell when the tank is running out of fuel. I just slow the throttle, toss her in nuetral and do a quick tank hose change on the fly. Usually a squeeze or two on the bulb for the new tank is all it takes and away I go. I can do it all in a few seconds.

I suppose it can be problematic if a tank runs dry while attempting to dock or in a crowded channel.

Andreas
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

I have a valve on mine that the previous owner had 3 six gallon tanks hooked up to that were under the rear seat. I replaced the 3 tanks with 2 twelve gallon tanks. Since we would have to pull off the seat cushions. lift the seat, and then change the hose from one to the other in cramped quarters, the valve works great. If the tank runs dry I do it like Andreas said and it goes very easy. Most of the time I switch before it gets that low, because like Andreas said, it usually happens at the worst time possible.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer