Shelf Life of Gas

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

John Hart

Shelf Life of Gas

Post by John Hart »

Is is reasonable to use last years gas in an outboard?... I am usually very meticulous to get fresh gas every year, and make sure I ran the carb dry with the choke on the previous year before storage.

Unfortunately, I have about 12 gals of mixed fuel for my 1961 75hp Johnson that is several months old.... I had thought I would get the boat out one more time before storing it in early Oct. However, I may not make it, and I hate to throw away that much gas, let along figure out how to get rid of it.

I don't know if I can dribble a gal once in a while in my garden tractors, or try Stabil, which I have never used, and then run my Johnson next spring with it. I don't want to do anything stupid and plug up the carbs to save $30 in gas, but fuel moves through so quickly, it may not hurt... Especially, if I mix half/half old/new gas.

Anybody have any comments.... ? Next time I will wait until I am sure I am ready to go, before adding oil...

One more thing... I try to get non ethanol gas... does that seem to matter to anyone..?

Thanks guys.
jim

gas storage

Post by jim »

I think if you add stabilizer and make sure the tank is full you will be OK.
Jim
JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

John,

I just throw in some Stabil for the winter.

I've also been tempted to pour it in my cars, a half gallon or so at a time. That 24:1 2-cycle oil beomes 500:1 when mixed with 10 gallons in the tank.

Jim
a j r

Post by a j r »

I have left fuel in the tanks over the Winter. I add STABIL or something like that. I have never had any problems the following Spring. This has been true for my 35 HP 1957 Johnsons as well as the 1967 Merc 110 HP.

Andreas