1963 evinrude starflight 5 75 hp - lower unit leaking oil?

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

thebrowndogg

1963 evinrude starflight 5 75 hp - lower unit leaking oil?

Post by thebrowndogg »

anyone familar with the early 60's automatic shifting lower units?
I have oil leaking out of 2 small holes that has me puzzeled.
Figured that someone around here may know a thing or 2 about

1st off let me say that I have no clue out outboard motors, I have been running jet boats the last 15 yrs.

1 hole is on the side up by the oil level screw & the the other is above the prop, right next to the water intake.
The 2 holes look like they belong there & not 2 spots where rust ate thru.
The rest of the moter is pretty clean for being almost 50 yrs old.

The motor is on a 60 selancer that I am trying to get out on the water.
I have only had the boat on the water once & noticed the oil leaking out the day after I ran it.
Hard to say how much oil did in fact leak out, I know a little oil can make a big mess.

I have not been on the forum in a while - I will try to figureout how to post pics.

Thanks Guys[/img][/img]
richnle

Post by richnle »

I have a 1965 Starflight 75hp and previously a 1964 Johnson V4. In both cases the engines would drip foamy oil after use from the locations you mentioned. The one above the prop drips onto the prop and then on the ground. The oil is unburned fuel and 2 cycle oil, mostly from idling at the boat ramp or dock at the end of the last run. If you have very minimal idle time after cruising, you should see very little or no oil.

Rich
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Yep' what richnle said. These holes drain down the leg and tower, keep water from getting trapped and freezing ... very BAD!. keep the holes cleaned of any debris.
The electric shift units are good reliable units, however very sensitive to water intrusion damage. Be sure that your gear lube is clean and not contaminated with water ( milky colored). I believe that the electric shift units take a special oil... check at the OMC dealer.
Also a great place to take you vintage outboard questions is www.aomci.org

Joe B
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Yup, the electric shift OMC outboards use special lower unit gear lube. It's much thinner than the regular stuff. Do NOT use regular gear lube, you will destroy the lower unit. Get the proper stuff.

I have a 1966 Evinrude 100 HP with "Selectric" shift. Works great.

Andreas
thebrowndogg

Post by thebrowndogg »

Guys
Thanks for the respones
Good to hear that my oil leaks appear to be normal-

As far as a special type of oil - I remember reading somewhere else about this.
I had the motor worked on by the local marina here in Vt & I am not sure what type of oil they used.
I think I should drain the old & replace with new to be safe.

Thanks Again
richnle

Post by richnle »

I am pretty sure the electric shift units require Type C lubricant in the lower unit. You should definitely drain whatever is in there and refill with fresh. If the oil is white or milky, then the lower unit needs to be resealed before refilling.

I still believe what you are seeing drip is unburned fuel-oil mixture, but you should definitely change the lower unit lube and make sure it is not white just to be sure the lower unit is not leaking.