1970 Johnson 60 HP

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

carsonphoto

1970 Johnson 60 HP

Post by carsonphoto »

Hi,
Trying to figure out where to start in getting my ob to run.
I have a vintage Johnson 1970 60HP 3 cylinder (hydro-electric) that ran fine with earmuffs in my carport, but ran for only about 10 min. when I put her in the water and got her out into the lake in low speed. Stopped running and I couldn't get her to start again, starting fluid didn't even get her to fire!...took her back home, gave her a test start for the heck of it and she fired right up!
I have all new tanks, lines, bulb....Any ideas where to start? Any good manuals you can recommend for do it yourself repairs?
Thanks,
Tom
JALL

Motor Forum

Post by JALL »

Try the web site iboats.com and go to the motor forum and click on motor repair. Those guys are great!
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

Did it by chance overheat? Just a thought.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

carsonphoto,

Original owners and service manuals as well as parts catalogs are available from Ken Cook Co. in Milwaukee. These are reprints fo the orignal manuals which Cook did for many motor manufacturers.

They have manuals for 1979 and older OMC motors, stern drives, snowmobils, boats, etc., as well as many of the other manufacturers.

Website is www.kencook.com

The last manuals I purchased some time in the late 90's or early 2000's from them were $20.00 each for the owners and parts catalog and $40.00 for the service manual.

Good Luck,

Phill
Charles Drumm

Post by Charles Drumm »

Starting fluid will strip the lubricant off the cylinder walls and pistons and is not recommended for oil/gas mixture 2 cycle engines. You can do some serious damage with starting fluid.

Most engines have a thermal relay that will kill the engine before doing permanent damage from overhaeting. Usually after the engine cools off you can restart. You need to address the root cause which will be a bad water pump or blocked water flow through the engine.