Gas Tank location.

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Torchie

Gas Tank location.

Post by Torchie »

P1020309.JPG
P1020309.JPG (184.11 KiB) Viewed 18871 times
I will post this question here at see what responses I get.
My Thompson is running twin Johnsons. The gas tanks that came with the boat have really short fuel lines on them.
Which leads me to believe that they were put into the motor well when running the boat.
If you look at the pre restoration pic that I have posted you will
see that it looks quite crowded in there. The strap in the middle is for the battery box.
I think the only way they would fit is with the engines in the down position.
Now the question.
Where are people locating their tanks and since I know that Andreas is running twins as well where are you putting your tanks.
I am most inclined to just line them up under the well on the floor board and strap them in running a longer fuel line thru the holes on the side of the well.
Any suggestions and pics would be great.
Torchie.
Bill Dunn

Re: Gas Tank location.

Post by Bill Dunn »

I have a '59 Sea Lancer with a '63 Merc 85 horse. She tends to be a little thirsty, so I have 2 12 gallon tanks under the back seat just in front of the splash well. I have a manual switch to change tanks. The switch was there when I bought the boat, but the previous owner had 3 old steel tanks under there. The new 6 gallon tanks take up more room, so I could only get 2 new 6 gallon tanks to fit. I started looking around and found 2 12 gallon tanks that would fit, and have been running them for 6 years with no problem. I have power trim and plenty of power to get it up on the water, so that much weight in the back is no problem.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Hi,

I have ample space behind and under the rear seat for two metal tanks, the typical OMC red tanks. They sit on plywood pads that are nailed to the top of the ribs on the outboard side of the stringers. They are wedged in there fairly tight so I do not have any tie-down straps to hold them in place. I also have a 10 or 12 gallon tank in the bow of the boat with fuel line that goes to the motors.

Andreas
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Bill and Andreas.
Thanks for the replys. Since my Off Shore has no back seat there is a good size area
of space under the motor well. Plus my flooring goes almost all the way back to the transom
so there is a solid platform for the tanks.
I have 4 of the OMC tanks that work for these motors so I thnik that I will just line them up back there.
Karl.
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Torchie, are your motors still set up for the two line presure tanks or have they been converted to fuel pump one line system? The latter will allow more options for style and placement of tank/s.
My sea lancer has a single 18 gal steel tank under the rear seat, no problem with weighht, back there is the best place for it.

Joe B
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

IMG_3066.JPG
IMG_3066.JPG (123.27 KiB) Viewed 18842 times
Joe.
Still set up for the 2 line system and I plan on keeping that as I have 4 good tanks and have rebuilt the connecters
and everything works as it should.
No back seat in this Off Shore so I will just tuck them in under the splash well.
See pic.
Torchie.