Transon TOO THICK?

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Tim the Toolman

Transon TOO THICK?

Post by Tim the Toolman »

Hello all, I'm replacing the transom on my 1968 20' Offshore. The original transom was 2" thick (alternating vertical inside and horizontal outside mahogany boards) from the factory and then someone tried to stiffen it up with junky plywood epoxied on the inside. The very bottom of the original transom seemed to have an extra 1" board that butts up against the keel and keelsons. I plan to make the transom 3" total thickness using (2) 1" thick sections of marine grade ply and facing with 1/2" solid mahogany inside and out.

Understanding this is the Engines board and not the Restoration board, it looks like the 125 hp Force engine that came with the boat will accommodate the 3" thick transom. My question is will most modern engines (hoping to invest in a 4-stroke someday) accept a 3" thick transom? Only having one engine to look at doesn't make me very knowledgeable.

Thank you members!
Tim the Toolman
Tim the Toolman
Robert

Re: Transon TOO THICK?

Post by Robert »

Tim
The thickness of the transom shouldn't matter if you through bolt engine.
Robert in Carrboro NC
1964 Peshtigo Sea Coaster
Tim the Toolman

Thanks Robert, exactly what I plan to do. I mostly concerned that the opening on modern engines is wide enough to handle a 3" think transom. My existing engine has a hook to hang the engine from and then I'd bolt it. It's about 3 1/2" open so I'm OK if I use it but might switch to a smaller (90 hp) engine and don't want to have to cut down the transom if the opening on the engine is too small. Thanks very much for the post! Tim
Tim the Toolman
Tim the Toolman

Thanks Robert, exactly what I plan to do. I mostly concerned that the opening on modern engines is wide enough to handle a 3" think transom. My existing engine has a hook to hang the engine from and then I'd bolt it. It's about 3 1/2" open so I'm OK if I use it but might switch to a smaller (90 hp) engine and don't want to have to cut down the transom if the opening on the engine is too small. Thanks very much for the post! Tim
Tim the Toolman