'57 johnson

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

andre lafrance

'57 johnson

Post by andre lafrance »

just purchased a 1957 Johnson javelin. I know less about these than I do wooden boats !! sooooooo, does anyone have a source for parts, shop manuals, owner's guide, etc. ? although I'm far from putting an engine on the old boat, I'd like to get started on collecting stuff - it may be my winter project! thanks...
Phill Blank

Re: '57 johnson

Post by Phill Blank »

Andre,

Owners manuals and shop manuals are available from Ken Cook Co. out of Milwaukee, WI for both Evinrude and Johnson older motors. Check out at: http://www.kencook.com

I have Evinrude's and have purchased manuals for all my motors thru them. I also received a listing of people and companies all over the country who have NOS parts available when I purchased my manuals.

Welcome to the World of OMC Outboards.

Good Luck,

Phill
andre lafrance

Post by andre lafrance »

phil, thanks so much for the information - yet another adventure! and happy father's day!
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Get involved with your local chapter of the Antique Outboard Motor Club www.aomci.org Great folks and a wonderful resource. Most chapters have swap meets several times each year.

You can find many parts such as coils and condensers at NAPA auto parts. Paint and decals are readily available from at least two sources.

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Hello 57Johnson... as was suggested, check out the group at aomci.org. And since you are very nearby, let me extend a personal invitation to visit one of the best Antique Outboard Club meets in the country at Constantine Michigan the weekend of July 10, 11, 12. Big swap and sell area, restored motor display and lots of on-the - water activity.... friendly and helpful people too! You can get more info on this and other meets at the club web site "Up Coming Events" page.

Joe B
andre lafrance

Post by andre lafrance »

thank you all very much. the swap meet sounds like a good deal. I'm going to look for a standard cowling to trade for my javeline - I could never afford to have it rechromed. thanks again...