Motor Controls for 18 hp 1957 Evinrude Fastwin

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

gaff

Motor Controls for 18 hp 1957 Evinrude Fastwin

Post by gaff »

I am setting up the 18 hp Evinrude on my little Sports Runabout. I hooked the remote motor controls up. Throttle seems to work smooth but the shifting not so much. Does the motor need to be running to move through the gears? Do I need to do anything with the controls on the tiller before using the remote controls?

Also, does anyone have any tips for wrapping the steering drum and running the steering cables. Seemed pretty straight forward but I'm having a time with it.

Thanks!

Steve
Ron Zito

Re: Motor Controls for 18 hp 1957 Evinrude Fastwin

Post by Ron Zito »

Hello, I have three of those vintage motors. Have not run them in years or had them apart, but as I best remember, yes they do not always shift smoothly when not running. The shifting dogs must line up before they will engage. If you turn the prop while pressing the shift handle it should drop into gear. While running the shifting is not a problem. I had my 1956 motor set up with cables (60 years ago) and it's pretty straight and forward. I don't know the problem your having but remember when you turn the steering right the motor rotates to the left.
I have a '54 15hp (same motor) '56 18hp and a '58 18hp.

Very dependable motor; Ron
Ron Zito

Post by Ron Zito »

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/col ... /part1.htm

the above link may help you with your tiller handle setup issues

Ron
gaff

Post by gaff »

Ron

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the link.

Thanks again

Steve
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Yes, what Ron said.... if the engine in NOT running do not try and force the shift lever. The way I adjust the shift cable is to first disconnect the cable end from the motor shift lever. Next while turning the prop by hand , shift the motor lever into "F" . Now go to the control box and shift the handle to forward. The cable pin should line up with the hole in the motor lever, if not adjust accordingly. Now do the same procedure for "R". It is very important that when the control box lever is in forward the motor lever is fully engaged into it's detent...if not the clutch dogs in the gear case will not be fully engaged.
Hope that this helps...
Joe B
gaff

Post by gaff »

Thanks for all the responses.

The information was very helpful and in fact we were abler to get everything set up and had her first launch. Everything worked great.

It is a cool little boat!

Goes into the Lake Hartwell Antique Boat Show in a couple of weeks!

Thanks again

Steve