New Generation two strokes

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Rodney Syverson

New Generation two strokes

Post by Rodney Syverson »

Just checking with anyone that might have some experience and input on the newer two cycle motors. In particular I am interested in the Evinrude 90 h.p. E-tec. I am contemplating installing this motor on my 62 Sea Lancer. I know most people are trying to preserve the old motors along with there old boats, but I have no interest in old motors and desire to have a new modern power plant installed on my freshly restored Thompson. Is there anyone out there that can give me a review of this motor? Any comments would be appreciated. Rod S
P.S. I like the new format. It appears to be very similiar to the Dannenberg website. Takes a little getting used to but in time people will figure it out. Need some posts to get the ball rolling.
john

Post by john »

Rodney

What size is a Sea Lancer? Is it a 16 or 17?

A new 90 ETEC is probably equal to an old 115. Most of these boats ran a v 4 OMC 75hp which is at best equal to a new 50 or 60 ETEC.

The new engines are rated at the prop shaft and the old at the crank, its about a 15 to 20% difference. Props and gercase design have also come a long way.

An old v 4 75 only weighted 216#, a new ETEC is 240# for either a 50 or 60, a 90 weights 340#. 124# does not seem like much but it adds up.

It not the weight so much as it is the available push.

I have a 1960 Cruisers Inc. 16', which I run either a 1960 Evinrude 40 or 75. The 75 will push it in the upper 30's and has run 41.7 without windsheild, the 40 pushes it a little less than 28 on the GPS. For the most part the best run speed is 15 to 20 mph, so the 40 works great.

I completly disassembled my Cruisers and refashened and recaulked with 5200 on every seam. I also replaced the inner keel with a new one that was 2" wider and about a 1" taller than the orginial. My bottom is tight and very straight. Some of the boats have developed hooks with age which can cause handling problems over 20 mph. How straight and stiff is your bottom? If its not straight, more power will cause a power hook and other structual damge.

Since to 50 and 60 are the same weight and I assume the same size I would go with the 60, and use max power sparingly. To much power on a new wood boat is not a great idea and with an old one you could have fashener and caulking problems.
Rodney Syverson

Post by Rodney Syverson »

John: My Sea Lancer is a 17 footer. The complete structure including all the keels, frames, and transom, excluding the strakes below the sheer are all new with expanded dimensions on the keels. It was rebuilt with an intentional proper convex shaped bottom. The boat was rated for 100 h.p. and came with a 75 Scott then replaced with a 100 hp Merc and finished its first life with a 90 Merc, all two strokes. I do not know what the old two strokes weighed in this hp category but the 2005 90 hp carburated two stroke is advertised at 308# in their brochure. The 90 hp E-tec Evinrude if I am not mistaken comes in at real close to that number. As my first choice, the four stroke engines are quite a bit heavier. I am leaning towards the new generation 2 stroke as the conventional two strokes though listed in their brochures are no longer legal and available, and the Evinrude 90 E-tec comes in about 60# lighter than its comparable competitor. They are also supposedly approaching the four strokes in the clean, quiet and efficiency categories; so I have been told.I realize there will be greater power with the newer motors, but with my fresh rebuild along with careful boating I feel I can accomodate the 90 h.p. motor. Simply would like to hear from someone with first hand experience with this motor. Thanks :) Rod
john

Post by john »

Rodney

Sounds like a better match now that I know the facts. Should run close or a little better than the 100 hp Merc.

If you Sea Lancer has a motor well, its better yet. My 16 does not have a motor well, so weight is more of a concern. I believe the 17 was set up to run twins 40 @ about 130# each. With motor well and wider transom than my 16' I might consider a 4 stroke.

As for the engine questions in general, I would post question on trailerboats.com