Bad Gas in your tank?

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

txcaptdan

Bad Gas in your tank?

Post by txcaptdan »

Took my seacamper to launching ramp today to test repairs on 90hp Johnson. Our lakes are so far down I just backed her into the water far enough to start and test engine.Well she started right off and after warming up would actually restart easily. One problem curred, but it ran so rough and would not smooth out.
A contractor pouring concrete nearby came over and suggested the gas was bad. Since the addition of ethanol to local fuels, fuel life has dropped to almost nothing. He has had the same problems with racing go-carts, the added ethanol has gunked up carbs and ruined seals. he had to start using racing fuel only.
I relalized that my fuel was over 4 months old! I spoke with the mechanic at boat shop nearby and he said he could not believe the number of carbs he has rebuilt this summer.
He said fuel works well if used right away, as much of us do in our cars, but left to sit it seperates and goes bad within two to three weeks. He suggested using fuel stabalizer and an octane boost. This is a huge problem for boaters as even marine fuel has ethanol.
I will start with a fresh fuel tank and additives and hopefully smooth out running issues.
Has anyone else noticed fuel or carb problems lately?
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

Dan,

They are having problems with the fuel injection systems of cars in WI due to use of ethanol adulterated gasoline. In particular with Citgo, which I was avoiding even before Hugo spoke at the U.N.

I am close enough to areas where real gasoline is available and fill my boat tanks there. The Shell stations are particularly proud that they don't use ethanol.

Jim
john

Post by john »

If you are backed down ramp, motor may be tilted down allowing carb to flood, causing rough idle.

To prove or disprove, bring portable 6gal tank with hose and try it.

The old v4's have a screen and check valve in the reed plate behind the carb. This screen if probably clogged, causing a rough idle.
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Having taken my Seacamper to show in Marble Falls and it still running bad I was at a loss. John P gave me some good places to start looking, carbs, plugs , and prop. Well I get it back and start going over the 90hp Johnson, I begin to remove distributor cap to set up points and as I am tracing wires t make sure I can put them back on right I follow #1 from cap to --- damn #2, I had looked at this engine for months and never caught this plug wire switch-DAMN DAMN. The plugs told the same story , both 1 and 2 were fouled and 3 and 4 were fine. I was running on two cyclinders no wonder she would not run over an idle. I am looking forward to engine running normal now!
Sometimes the most simple things can be overlooked and cause you to chase ghosts elsewhere.
I have yet had a chance to lake test , no time,no water.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas