Needing a new engin

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

fdavis

Needing a new engin

Post by fdavis »

I have inherited (or been given) my grandfather's 1960 Cruiser, Inc. 20 ft boat. He purchased the boat at the 1959 Chicago Boat show. Since that time it has been powered by several different motors but the current motor is a 1972 mercury 1400. This motor is shot and I wish to re-power. I do not believe I am interest in a ventage motor but would appreciate some ideas about engines (venatage or new and what size).
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome aboard. I don't know what model you have but in 1960 Cruisers, Inc. had two models that were 20'-3" at the centerline length: Super Vacationer model 502 and Royal Vacationer model 570. The latter was a cabin cruiser. Both were rated for up to 160 HP.

I personally like to see age appropriate motors on old boats. So I recommend a 1960 motor. But that's just my own personal opinion. In 1960 Johnson and Evinrude had up to 75 HP and Mercury had their 80 HP "dockbuster" model.

This will be the route to go if you plan on attending classic boat shows and desire to get awards. You will be knocked off points big time for having an outboard that is not the same year as the boat.

A modern fuel efficient and low polluting outboard may be the route to go.

Andreas
fdavis

Post by fdavis »

Thanks for the input. At this time, I am only trying to enjoy the boat with my small children, to let them enjoy the same boat I did growing up on the lake. The Boat does not have a cabin on the bow and is open at the stern with cabnets behind the bench seat at the helm. It is my understanding that she was made for twin 70's but that is just what my uncle told me. Will a single 90 hp push the boat enough to enjoy the ride?

Thanks.
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

go for a modern engine

Post by thegammas »

Read all of the following with the understanding that I just bought my first boat.

If your not into classic motors, I would recommend a modern motor. The classics are fun, highly cool, and will certainly look better on the boat. But they can be finicky, more complex in some ways. Service shops are readily available for modern motors.

I myself am into classic cars, boats, planes. I just recnetly bought a 1962 Thompson Custom Sea Lancer with a 1963 Mercury 100hp. Just reading the motor shop manual, I can see just how much more complicated the engine's ingniton/timing is. And while many parts are available, many are not. Most any work done will be by me, since few places will touch a 40+ year old motor. That said, that's 3/4 of the fun for me, and believe it or not, the motor was a big part of my choosing that boat (childhood memories, you see).

As to the horsepower? You may be able to find a Coast Guard plate that states the rated h.p. You'll need to see if you need a long or short shaft motor. Perhpas just trailer it to a dealer and get thier advice. And of course, outboard motors can be shockingly expensive.

How big is the boat (length/beam?). What conditionis it in? Where will you be using it? I'd be interested in seeing any pics you may have.

Sincerely, Pete, "the last person whom should be giving advice".
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Monhegan

Similar power is fine.

Post by Monhegan »

That merc 140 was rated originally at 150. They changed it to 140 when the v6 came out.

How bad is it what is the problem.

The powerhead is rebuildable with all new bearings and tender loving care for about $1000. Contact Wayne Canino (usually has a block for sale on Ebay) It is a fine motor for that boat. With reaonable care they last a long time. I just replaced a 1964 85 hpMerc 6 on my boat with a 1985 115hp model. Nothing wrong with 85hp. I just wanted to get away from the points ignition and have power trim. Thats right, 40 seasons in salt water and still running fine. Always used Mercury brand oil, rarely ran full throttle. The factory lead seals were still on the crank-case bolts, never been opened.

So how long to those Mercury 6 motors last..... don't know.

If you must update power, anything between 100 hp and 150 is good. Choose the lightest you can get. If you get 4 cycle it will be much heavier than that Mercury inline 6

If you can stick with a Mercury motor, especially if not going New, you can just swap it in, keeping all your controls, cables and gauges. It is a strong consideration I think. (Mercury accessory/rigging catalog has an adaptor to convert the older engine connection to newer style for the harness if you need it.... dealer might not know but look it up in the big catalog).

So all considered, the Mercury 115 4 stroke would not be a bad choice. For 2 stroke motors, the e-Tec Evinrude is pretty cool check it out. Tohatsu has a 4 cylinder direct injection. Yamaha may have one too. There are lots of choices in the 100-140 hp area. All good- but some may have a key feature you like.

jp

cheers