How hard is it to replace shock absorbers on a 75 Johnson

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

John Hart

How hard is it to replace shock absorbers on a 75 Johnson

Post by John Hart »

As I lowered my 1961 75HP Johnson last year after launching with it in a tilted up position, from the inside of the boat, it moved a little fast a couple times. It is a little hard to control that heavy motor from that angle. There are shock absorbers that function to dampen the upward motion of the lower unit if an underwater obstruction is struck, but also to help return it back to normal running position.

I will check the motor after I get it out of storage, but I have been thinking that perhaps these are a little weak after 45 years. Is it hard to replace these, without removing the motor?... are there inserts of some sort? Can they be recharged with fluid?

I am not sure if these are doing their job or not, but I wanted to get some background done before things get moving in the spring... I would hate to lose my grip, and have the motor come flying down and torque against the transom mounts.

Does anyone have any experience with this..?

Thanks.
john

Post by john »

They should be easy to replace. Back when I was rigging boats in Junior and Senior High School, I installed many power lifts. I can't remember if I added the lift cyclinder with the motor on or off the boat. In any case it was not hard.

The shocks were never very stong, I guess only dampened engine at high speed, not when manual lifting or lowering.

You might want to check another v 4 engine for comparison, before you chance them out.
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

John H, I have a 61' 75 HP Evinrude on my Sea Lancer and the shocks do not provide any noticable resistance to manually raising or lowering the engine. I believe that they are designed to soften a high speed encounter w/ an undewater obstruction.
Joe in Michigan
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Thanks fellas... Maybe they are doing all they can.... I guess I will just make sure I am careful when I lower it back down...

Thanks again.