Steering Wheel restoration

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

a j r

Steering Wheel restoration

Post by a j r »

Has anyone restored a boat steering wheel? I have one from a 1959 Thompson (Peshtigo) Sea Lancer. It is a creame colour. It has some cracks and finish is completely rubbed off in a few spots.

Any tips on how to fill up the cracks and is painting it afterwards the best thing to do? What kind of paint? Any clear coat on top of it?

Andreas
Darrell Van Eck

Post by Darrell Van Eck »

Andreas:

The product I would use would be a 3M brand 8115. This prduct is used in the autobody industry, on rubber & plastic parts. It is very easy to work with, sandable, and paintable. Then I would refinish with a good urethane automotive finish.

Both products are availble at any good automotive paint supply store.

If you need a hand with it please let me know.
Darrell Van Eck
a j r

Post by a j r »

Thanks Darrell!
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

I also re-painted my steering wheel on my 14ft SUper Deluxe Runabout. I used Krylon Auto spray paint. I lightly used fine steel wool to break the gloss on the existing paint after I had washed it down with some Interlox paint thinner on a clean cloth. I then sprayed numerous light coats on the wheel.

I did not have to fill any wide cracks or voids, but I would agree with what Darrell suggested for the filler.

I also removed the center aluminum trim ring which had the steering wheel manufacturers name ebossed in it and lightly sanded it with emery cloth to take off the oxidation and the result was a brushed aluminum look. I then used black paint to full in the embossing to highlight it. After it had dried I again buffed the ring with the emerycloth to remove and goofs in painting. I then used clear coat to seal the surface an dprevent any oxidation in the future.

Good Luck!
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi again, is the 3M 8115 the best stuff??? I can't find it anywhere other than special ordering it and the cost is $50.00! Is there any other goop that will work??

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

I would think you could use an epoxy filler or even a heat stick glue product. Main thing is that you need to be sure the cracks are clean so the epoxy will stick. If the cracks are small try using paint as a filler. Use a small brush and work paitn into the cracks and let dry and keep building up until the crak will not accpet any more paint. The lightly sand with fine sand paper, steel wool or sctoch bright pad. Then degrease with paint thinner and spray to you hearts content.

If I recall right the wheel I repainted had a few very small hairline cracks that I let the spray paint fill them and it looks good.