Filling screw holes below waterline

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

TreelineIII

Filling screw holes below waterline

Post by TreelineIII »

I have refastened ribs and put in a new bottom. In so doing I now have the screw holes on the bottom of the hull which I need to fill in before I paint. I have a can of Interlux Surfacing Putty. This is #257 White. I believe I was told that this was what I should use but now that I read the side of the can I see that it says "above the waterline". Does anybody know if this is what I should use below the waterline, to do the surfacing that I need to do? So my question is, can I use this below waterline?
HELP I was hoping to do this today but I don't want to ut on something that is just going to wash out.
Thanks
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Evercoat "Formula 27" is a 2 part poylester resin that works really well above or below the waterline. Available at boat supply stores. Mix the two components and it sets up in a few minutes. Can be sanded and painted. Although it's priced like a marine product ... seems pretty much like good ole' Bondo to me.
I'm sure you can get a detailed product description on line from Jamestown Distributors' web site.
Joe B
a j r

Post by a j r »

I have used Smith's Fill-It and also one of the 3M products. Both with success.

Andreas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Formula 27 is a great product for this. It bonds great and is fairly easy to sand. West Marine sells it under their name as a marine filler.
I have recently had to remove some of it applied a year ago and it was hard and a little tough to remove, just the way you want as a filler for screws.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas