waterski repair

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jim

waterski repair

Post by jim »

I know that this is a little off topic but I recently purchased a pair of vintage waterskis made by the Thompson boat co. to go with the sea-lancer that I am restoring. One of the rear boots is torn and I was wondering if anyone knows of a source for replacement or of a glue that would work well for repairing this? Thanks Jim
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Jim.. I don't know about repairing the boot, but I just thought I would ask if you are going to restore your skiis?... two years ago, I bought 2 pairs of old wooden skiis, and a single Thompson slalom ski....

I had fun doing one of the pairs, but my wife talked me out of doing anything with the Thompson.... Her argument, was that we are always hearing that it diminishes the value of the old article if the finish is tampered with. A few viewings of the Antiques Roadshow would probably bring out the same point...

Although I like the idea of making a boat look like new, it did seem to be neater to leave the old ski as-is... so I did.

So, I have my best effort of revarnishing and cleaning the boots of one set of skiis and then I have the "original" Thompson... Someday I may change my mind but I have left my options open for now.

Just something to consider..

John.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Your water ski was probably made by Thompson Skis, Inc. of Crivitz, WI, NOT by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. These were completely seperate companies.

Andreas
jim

Post by jim »

Thanks for the info. Even though it isn't the same company it is still neet to have some skis from the same time. Jim
a j r

Post by a j r »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think Thompson Skis are the best! That's what I learned to ski upon when I was about age 6. And I was pulled behind a Thompson boat.

I have a dozen or so wooden water skis by Thompson Skis, including those Ilearned upon as a kid. I also have two Thompson aquaplanes, one made by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. - probably in the 1920s or 1930s!

Andreas