help a new guy-restoration/varnish-image included

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

rong

help a new guy-restoration/varnish-image included

Post by rong »

Here are pictures from my 63 seacoaster.
I was told this was the original varnish and it looks in good condition.
I have to sand and varnish many spots to make her look good again.
Please review the pix and lend me your thought on the easiest way to sand and varnish. I am not too excited about stripping the decks at this time just interested in repairing the warn and gray areas. Your thoughts please!
I have sanded a few small areas and added a coat of varnish, which proceeded to turn black. Help please.
Thanks

[/img]http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7911 ... c8.jpg[img]
a j r

Post by a j r »

Fix your rotten ribs and any other structural problems FIRST. Do not even bother stripping finishes and revarnishing until you have the backbone of the boat in tip top shape.

The black you have created is becasue the sun bleached wood turned gray and you were varnishing ontop of it. You will need to get to fresh wood before applying pigmented stain and then varnish to be able to blend. It is no simple task to blend new to old. You can also try a wood bleach (not Clorox) to blend the fresh wood to the old wood before applying stain and varnish.

Do I see I step pad in the middle of the deck? That certainly does not belong there!

Andreas
rong

Post by rong »

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly take care of the hull before I resume the task of blending and varnishing. I was assessing the amount of work ahead of me.
I will sand a spot or two to see if I can bleach, blend and varnish.
First bottom then varnish.
I have learned a ton from this forum and I see that many beautiful old boats will be restored by your advice.
Thanks again
Ron
a j r

Post by a j r »

By the way, is this a Peshtigo built Sea Coaster or one form Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. of Cortland, NY? What's the hull ID (stamped into teh transom) and serial number (on a metal plate)?

Andreas
rong

Post by rong »

The plate said Pestico, Wi. Plate #33354
# stamped in the Transom is C30842.

What info can be derived from this info?