Spraying varnish

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

js

Spraying varnish

Post by js »

I'm looking for the best way to apply varnish to the interior hull of my boat. Has anyone sprayed the varnish?

Thank you.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Nope, never sprayed varnish.

Andreas
Darrell Van Eck

Post by Darrell Van Eck »

I sprayed the inside of my 62 coaster with schooner varnish, very easy very quick. I purchased a low cost turbin paint spraying system on E-Bay, and used it. I did brush the varnish in the floor areas, just to make sure every thing was covered properly.

I am in the auto-body repair buisness, so spraying was not a issue to me, but after using the turbin system I would say anyone could use this, a little common sense is all it takes. You need to work on making it run, and it is very fast, I bet I do not have more than a hour varnishing the inner area's. I had more time in cleaning the gun then I did in actual spraying time.
Darrell Van Eck
TreelineIII

Varnish method

Post by TreelineIII »

To spray on the varnish could you use one of those wagner paint sprayers. I venture to guess cleaning it my be a challenge, but I would be ok giving this thing for the cause.
joelsm65

Post by joelsm65 »

thats exactly what i did, borrowed my friends' wagner sprayer, worked out awsome, i could do the inside of the boat and transom in half hour from start to finish, and its really easy to clean, you just run some mineral spirits thru the sprayer
TreelineIII

Post by TreelineIII »

Thanks Joel, What Varnish did you use? Was it the Schooner like Darrel used? Did either of you use the CPES before the Varnish. Any chance you sprayed that on? Did you put on multiple coats of Varnish on the inside hull. I assume that there was not any sanding either. I can not imagine sanding this area any more. Thanks
[quote][/quote]
joelsm65

Post by joelsm65 »

eric right? sorry im not sure,
you need to post some pictures of your progress, i saw your pictures at the ralley of just what you had gone through to set up the trailer , i was impressed with your thuroness so im interested to see what you have got going on since then! any way yes i used schooner 96 just like andreas recomended. i also used petit clear sealer. i sprayed that on as well, first. only one coat then spray the varnish. thin the first coat alot like 50%,second coat 25% and third maybe 10% and then full body from there on out. i did not use cpes on the inside, i did use it on the transom. i sprayed i think about 5 or 6 coats of varnish. between the last coat i lightly sanded with like 220, not the ribs , they were smooth, just enought to get rid of the dust nibs. there are alot of woodworkers that would agree that you need to lightly sand between each coat with 220 to get rid of the dust nibs and air bubbles, also it helps the next coat to really bond to the last coat. scuffs it up for it to adhere. which i agree if it is bad enough, but once you get good at taking your time and being thuro with finishes, and using your best procedures, there should not be alot of either of those problems. anyways i like to sand good between my last coat. wood is going to feel like wood,plus how many people are going to get into your boat, that didnt work on it or have never worked on wooden boats, going to start feeling up the insides of the boat and critize you! of course decks and windshield and seats are completely different story! just remember when spraying, its not a back and forth radius motion, its side to side parallel with the boat. good luck and post some pictures
TreelineIII

Post by TreelineIII »

Joel, thanks for the compliment. Thorough? I think maybe just being slow gives that impression. I am however pleased up to this point. As we all know with kids, work and everything in between we get done what we can when we can. I have not tried to post pics, but I will try. Better yet you are just over in Wheaton, I welcome your personal viewing. Let's further that discussion on my email Eric_Platou@malloy.com.
I appreciate the insight on the varnishing. With the warmer weather not far off, I hope to be ready for that stage soon.
Sorry to the one who started this thread. I did not meant to commandeer the conversation. I hope you got as much out of this discussion as I did.
jim hays

Spraying varnish

Post by jim hays »

Darrell I guess this is directed to you. Have you or anyone ever sprayed (clear coat used on cars) on the wood after it has been stained. Im just wondering if this could be done and what it would look like. Yes everyone Im still here, just got back from 6 weeks in AZ and Im getting back to work on my 59 Filling holes in the bottom and getting it ready for the coatings that Danenberg says to use. Thanks for the thougths on this and remember to keep it above the water. Jim Hays
a j r

Post by a j r »

Some people use automotive type clear coats on boats. I say that is WRONG. They belong on metal automobiles, not wooden boats. Typically, those types of finishes are not fleixble like marine spar varnish. Wooden boats "move" and the finishes must be able to move as well.

I know one professional boat restorer that uses auto clear coats lieu varnish. Every boat of his that actually gets used (by the way, most of the boats he restorers are "trailer queens" and never see the water) have the finish come off in huge sheets. There is NO easy way to repair this mess and the entire finish must be removed. These types of finishes also make the wood look like plastic - not wood.

This is MY opinion and not to be construed as gospel.

Andreas
Darrell Van Eck

Post by Darrell Van Eck »

Jim:

I would agree with Andreas, I do not recommend using auto finishes on wood boats. It would probably stick, all though I would worry about using oil based stains and clear sticking, but the reapir-ability would be tough. I would not want to try to get urethane clear off of a wood base.

There are so many finishes out there set up for this, I would ask why go to the auto market. I used the Bristal finish on my 63 Coaster on the out side of the boat, and spar on the inside. Bristal is a catylized product that is real durable, and repairible, and it can be wet-sanded and buffed. I think turned out real nice, I had some people at the rally say it looked to nice to be orginal, but I like it. I like deep rich looking wood.

I am a firm believer that these big company's put a lot of money in research on there products, if auto products worked on wood they way they do on cars, they would advertise and sell it for that use allso.

Just my opinion.
Darrell Van Eck
jim hays

Spraying varnish

Post by jim hays »

Thanks guys, Like they say you will never get a answer or opinion until you ask the question. Remember you are dealing with a greenhorn, this is my first boat (might be the last). Yes I love the richness of wood also but like anyone else dont like all the work. (Just takes to much time) Would like to see a picture of your boat (Darrell) Will have to look into the use of a Bristal finish (When the time comes) I really dont care for the yellowing finish that I see with varnish but if this is the way it is to be I will do the spar and let the next guy worry about re dooing it after Im long gone. Anyway again thanks guys and keep it above water. Jim