Proper wood

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

TreelineIII

Proper wood

Post by TreelineIII »

I know many of you have gone with the flat panel of sort for the floor. I was thinking of going with wood strips that would run from transom forward across boards which would be layed crosswise for support. For the underside I was thinking of using normal oak or pine. since I have some. As well as the flooring boards would be Pine. I know this is not rot resistant but this also would not be in continuous direct contact with the water. Is this an ok approach or am I kidding myself? I presume my alterantive is to go with White oak? appreciate your help.
Eric
a j r

Post by a j r »

Why do this and change it from plywood or hardboard? And definately do not use pine no matter what you do.

Andreas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Eric,
My Seacamper Kingfisher had planked flooring. The planks came from door jambs that turned out to be mahogany. They where run through a planner then stained and varnished. Looked great but was kind of a pain. slick and allways in need of revarnishing. Chairs would easily scratch them and I was always refinishing for the spring.
Here are a couple of shots as they were removed, sanded, reinstalled and varnished for about the 4th time.

It was also difficult to acess ths bilge. They did look great but too much maintenience. [img][img]http://img01.picoodle.com/img/img01/7/3/28/f_DSCF0003m_22d2f5e.jpg[/img][/img]
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas