keelson and bottom ply removal

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

rong

keelson and bottom ply removal

Post by rong »

I need to replace the keelson, scarf in some ribs and replace the bottom plywood. My thoughts are 1. remove the keel. 2. sand off paint to expose and remove all screws in the bottom ply including the machine scews attaching the plywood bottom pieces together. 3. remove rib screws. 4. remove the keelson 4. scarf in new ribs and reassemble.
The ply looks to be 3/8 ply. Where have you found marine ply that is long enough for the bottom. At first glance the bottom ply at rough measure was 14 feet long. The bottom plywood plank must be one long piece right? Where should I look for wood. Next question how do I bend the plywood to match the hull?
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi,

Your methodology seams sound. The plywood is full length by scarfing several pieces together. Plenty of "how to" information can be dredged up at the forum of www.woodenboat.com and also look at the following link:
http://www.boatbuilder.org/mudpeepscarf ... ofting.htm

You will have to steam bend the plywood to make the curve.

Make sure to keep all the old pieces to use as patterns. Note the bevel on the plywood edges and how it changes from bow to stern .

Andreas
jim

bending plywood

Post by jim »

I used Okume marine plywood to replace the bottom of my sea lancer and was able to bend it without steaming it. I clamped it in place for a few days before I attached it. It seemed to work well for me.
Jim
rong

Post by rong »

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the web sites and received really good information. I'll keep you posted
john

Post by john »

You may be able to make the keelsom wider and simply trim off the rotten ends of the ribs.

Works very well if the ribs ends are good if you cut off 1" or 1 1/2".

www.aerialimaging.net/john