deck fastening

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

TreelineIII

deck fastening

Post by TreelineIII »

Step by step, inch by inch. I am ready to take one more step for mankind, boater kind. I am getting close to attaching the decking and am curious how many of you had done this. I have 6mm Okoume ply and plan to use 5200 to set it, as well as use bronze brads to secure. On the bow I have cut Mahogany edge pieces which I will secure with #8 screws and then bung the holes. Did you all use the brads as well to secure the decking all around. I thought that they would be in every 8 inches. Thanks for your continued help. I just wish I had more time to put towards working on this.
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

I replace all the decking on my 20' Seacamper and used a 1/2" marine plywood, I sealed edges with 5200 and attached with countersunk #6 silicon bronze screws then fared over indented screw heads. I then epoxy sealed all deck surfaces. My decks are vinyl covered so I only worried about haveing smooth surface from screws. I can walk around on decks now without any flex or give. Are you doing varnished decks? Good Luck
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
a j r

Post by a j r »

I just replaced plywood decks on a 1961 Peshtigo built Thompson Sea Lancer. I used 9 mm Meranti plywood (3/8 inch). I used 3M5200 adhesive at all supports and also copper or brass nails and screws. I used screws where they had previously been used and nails where they had previously been used. Nails and screws were countersunk and filled over with putty and faired. I clamped all over the place too while the adhesive cured.

I did not bung the screw and nail holes with wood plugs. There just is not enuff room. I puttied 'em just like they did at the factory originally.

Andreas
TreelineIII

Post by TreelineIII »

I need to clarify, it is in fact 9mm that I have for my deck. I plan to varnish the deck. It sounds like the way to go is screw down in the areas being covered by the Mahogany trim pieces and then just nail down the areas that will remain visible. Thanks.