rolling her over

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

rong

rolling her over

Post by rong »

Does anyone have suggestions on how to roll over my 17' seacoaster.
Since I do not have a ceiling high enough in my garage to hoist herup, I feel that my only course of action is to ask a few friends over to help me roll her over on the grass. I think I will need to install two cross members in the boat to support the weight as she rolls. Then I will put her upside down on the trailer for some bottom reconstruction. Please let me know how it has been done in the past and what is the easiest way to flip my boat. P.S the wooden windshield has been removed as well as any pertinent hardware.

Thanks!!
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Rong... I believe I have posted in the old dockside forum about flipping over my 1960 Seacoaster... essentially, I hooked straps or chains to the rear two eyes on the transom, which were anchored on a four wheeler...

Then I used a tow strap (like seat belt) under the rear of the boat, with a guy on each side lifting up.... another person pulled the van forward slowly sliding the trailer out from under the boat... we moved along with the strap to keep up.

I had picked up 6 or 7 old tires from my friends at Goodyear... before the process began, I had placed two at the back of the transon.... several along the keel, and several at the front deck... I also put old towels over the tires to keep black marks off the boat.

I build some wood braces to keep the boat from flexing during the process.. Then three of us flipped it over fairly easily, and onto respaced tires.

It will take me a few days to get to it, but I can send you some pictures if you want to send me your email address...

Good luck..

John Hart
johnwtreeman@aol.com
a j r

Post by a j r »

Five or six guys can easily flip your boat over. No need for straps or Jeeps or anything other than some packing blankets. Get her on the ground. Have the guys start rolling her and when she reasches the balance point get them to move to the other side to catch her. Takes two minutes at tops. It will take more time for you to spread out packing blankets than it will to roll.

I have done this on the driveway and sidewalk at my house to one boat each year for the past four years. Up to an 18 ft. Thompson. Did a 17 ft. Sea Lancer one time with only four people! Not recommended - get at least five!

Oh, I did not do any bracing as the deck, dashboard and motor/splash well were still in the boat. I only had the boats on there back for about a month and then they were flipped back to correct posistion.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Andreas
rong

Post by rong »

You were right. 5 people was the magic #.
I rolled the boat off the trailer and rolled her over onto tires.
The five of us lifted the boat and lowered it onto the trailer supports.
Thanks for the tips.
Ron