Red oak frames.....Wha??

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

t3

Red oak frames.....Wha??

Post by t3 »

I just got a '66 seacoaster that needs to have several frames replaced. Now, I think it's pretty common knowledge that white oak is the prefered material for this job, but having torn into it, these frames look like RED oak.
Could this be right? I've been a woodworker for a long time and this is either the pinkest white oak I've ever seen or Thompson did use red oak for frames. Anyone else notice this?
a j r

Post by a j r »

No way did any of these boat builders use red oak in their construction. White oak (all heartwood) was used for ribs, keels, keelsons, stringers, stems, floor framing, etc...

Maybe some previous owner replaced 'em with red oak.

Red oak is a big NO NO for use it boats. It has zero decay resistance.

Andreas
t3

Post by t3 »

Well....Thats what I thought too. But I once owned a mahogany lapstrake that had ash frames, so it not too farfetched.

The boat in question is Peshtigo built. I'm the second owner and I'm certain that it's all original. The family sold it to me because it was beyond their ability to repair her. Aside from the color, another thing that leads me to believe that it could be RO is that the rot on the frames is so complete but the strakes underneath are rot free. The stem and keel are in pretty good shape too but they look like WO.

I guess the reason I'm asking is because I'd like to put her back to the way she came from the factory. Maybe WO was their mainstay but on occasion they used RO because of availability, who knows. This is my first Thompson so, I don't have any experience with them at all. But I can't be the only one to have come across this. Anyone whose ever replaced any frames notice a distinct color difference when finished? Maybe the new wood was a bit cooler in appearance?

I just want to get it right thats all.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Whatever the case, do NOT use red oak in a boat. It has zero decay resistance. And the sapwood of white oak does not have any decay resistance.

Use all heartwood white oak for the steam bent ribs, keel, keelson, etc...

Andreas