second coat

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jim hays

second coat

Post by jim hays »

This is not new and in a different place but here goes. AJR, Dan, John,and anyone else, sorry dont mean to pick on you three. But the weather here finally broke and is staying warm enough to paint and I put the first coat of lemonade yellow on my project the color is great (looks like the color on my dunebuggy I had back in the late 70's early 80's). Anyway here is the question do I sand after each coat useing 220grit or do I just wipe down and give it the next coat? Is not like painting cars as far as Im concerned. Oh and another question what did they make the windshield frameing out of sanded mine down for staining (when it gets here) and boy is it hard wood and looks the color of maple. Is this something that I will have to fight to take a stain? Thanks to ALL Jim Hays.
a j r

Post by a j r »

If there are sags and runs and humps, in the first coat of paint, I wil sand. If she's smooth I will not sand. I definately sand between coats of primer paint.

The windshield frame should be made from solid Phileppean mahogany, just like the seats, transom, etc... This is a very soft wood. Maybe someone replaced your frame with oak or ??

Andreas
jim hays

Post by jim hays »

Thanks AJR, just checked the paint job bright no runs, humps, sags so will try and put on second coat sat. The windshield is probably orginal but when I sanded it down it has the color of maple, and again someone could have changed it any way I will stain it and other pieces when ever UPS gets my order delivered. Again thanks Jim Hays
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Jim... I don't remember exactly, but I think I used maroon Scotchbrite pads in between paint topcoats..... just to haze it up a bit.... I might have used gray pads, but just enough to take off the semigloss...

I don't believe I sanded at all in between coats of the High Build Epoxy Primer..

John Hart
jim hays

john

Post by jim hays »

John, thanks for the info. I will check and probably use the pads before I do the third coat. The weather here has change again and is doing some raining but they say that it will pass after tomorrow (we'll see). I talked with Smith&Co. and they told me that sanding wasnt necessary between coats of barrier and that seeing as how I had put on the first coat early in the morning I would be able to apply the second coat later in the afternoon on the same day. And boy was that great worked out fine. The lemonaid yellow is so bright that I'm thinking of painting the bottom a brown to help tone it down a little even though I know the boat will have part of the yellow under water we'll see. Again John thanks and thanks to all Jim Hays
a j r

Post by a j r »

Glad the painting is going smootly! Don't paint the bottom brown. If you paint the bootm, use copper bronze bottom paint. That would be an appropriate choice.

Andreas