To Restore or Not...

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dave D.

To Restore or Not...

Post by Dave D. »

In preparing to sell my parents home we discovered my grandfathers Thompson 15' runabout that has been stored in an outdoor garage. Unfortunatly the boat has been used as a storage bin in this garage for the better part of the last 20 years and has suffered from this neglect.

In doing some simple fact finding I discovered the name plate stated the mfr of the boat as "Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. Cortlandt, NY". The serial number is also listed at #54732. I understand that the Cortlandt division of Thompson used this serial number also as the hull number, so we haven't found any other numbers printed on the hull. The measurements of the hull are approximatly 15'-3" stem to stern by 5'-8" at its widest point.

My grandfather hand wrote a bill of sale to my dad in 1987 that this Thompson was a 1959 vintage vessel. My guess is this is incorrect and the year may be 1954 and this is the 732nd hull produced at this facility. Am I correct in this assumption?

Continuing on, the all wood boat appears to be made of oak with mahogany decks and trim. While the walls of the hull appear to be in good shape, the plywood floor is totally lost and all of the floor oak bents are lost as well. While it appears we have all the metal trim, they have lost their nice shiny chrome finish.

While the boat is in desparate need of paint and shellac, the structural components need replacement and repair first. My grandfather was a fisherman who enjoyed Long Island Sound from the CT and RI shore. We also often went to Cape Cod Bay and points north as well. Basically, the boat has seen very little fresh water boating and has spent most of her time in salt water. I can remember my grandfather washing her down each time we returned from a day or weekend fishing trip but the salt has taken a toll on the trailer which is also in need of repair.

Basically, there are a lot of good memories with this boat and I don't really want to junk her. I was wondering if there is a local group or organization that I could contact to assist in determining if the boat is salvagable. We live in Western Massachusetts so Southern New England or Eastern New York State would be a candidate. Does anyone have any ideas for this lost soul?[img][/img]
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hello and welcome aboard!

Is this boat plywood lapstrake planked or is it cedar strip?

The Antique & Classic Boat Society (www.acbs.org) has several chapters in New England. they may be a good contact for you.

Salt water is OK for the wood of the boat, but it is heck on the fasteners and metal parts.

Andreas
Dave D.

To Restore or Not.....

Post by Dave D. »

Andreas,

Thanks for the reply. We will check out this organization and hopefully get some quidance.

Also, the hull is plywood lapstrake planked. The sides of the hull are in decent shape and in need of refinishing. However the problem exists on the floor of the hull where dry rot has destroyed most all the white oak structural ribs and many of the plywood planks need to be replaced.

The boat is in need of some tender loving care.

Dave
a j r

Post by a j r »

This post is directed at everyone:

There is no such thing as dry rot. It rotted because it was continually wet with moisture contents above 19% so that rot spores could function and grow and do their nasty work. It is wet rot.

It's dry now because the moisture source was eliminated.

This is one of my pet peaves. There is no such thing as dry rot. I hate the term!

Andreas
Last edited by a j r on Wed May 30, 2007 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave D.

Post by Dave D. »

Well its always good to learn something new everyday.

Thanks for today's terminology lesson.

Dave