transom replacement preocedure

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Jerry E

transom replacement preocedure

Post by Jerry E »

I am planning on cutting off my transfom and need just a quick refresher.
What adhesive should be used?
What type of screws and length?
What type of nails if any?
Transom hole sleeve (or two)?
Replacement lag screws?
Anything else?

And where is a good source to buy these items?
Jerry E
The Cabinet Guy
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi, it may be helpful to know what you are doing this to...make, model, year...

Andreas
Jerry E

Post by Jerry E »

Oh yea, I have a 1966 Thompson Sea Coaster. The transom currently has 3 splits that are about 1/16" to 1/8" wide running the entire length. The rest of the transom has smaller "stress fractures". The original '66 Mercury will be used when restoration is complete. I am planning on cutting the transom out and shortening the boat by about 2 1/2".

My plan is to replace the outer keel, inner keel, transom and sister keels (?), and a few ribs (or rib ends). My plan is to shorten the boat first so I can replace the inner keel and sisters to the proper lenght and lag screw through the new transom.

I currently have the hull stripped and sanded to expose all fastener locations.
Jerry E
The Cabinet Guy
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi Jerry,

New fasteners should be silicon bronze. A bit stronger than brass which was originally used. Really no need to use nails like in the original, screws are fine. Nails were used in the fast production line to get a piece of wood quickly fastened. Screws were put in later for a "complete" connection.

If you do use nails, I suggest copper, brass, or silicon bronze ring shank type.

You can get silicon bronze screws and bolts and nuts and lags at many places such as Jamestown Distributors, Southern Crown Boatworks, www.classicboatconnection.com, boltdepot.com.....

About #8 x 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" screws are probably used to connect the inner vertical transom boards to the outer horizontal ones. Planking to transom is probably about the same, maybe #6 screws lieu #8.

3M5200 or similar can be used to help connect the two layers of transom planking together. This can also be used between planking and transom. White 3M5200 can be obtained from places like Home Depot. West Marine has white, black and brown.

When taking things apart, make note of the number and size of the screws, etc... Use these as guides for replacement pieces.

I NEVER will reuse an old screw or lag or bolt in any structural connection.

You are welcome to stop by to look at what I am restoring and have in my "shop."

Andreas in Minneapolis
Jerry E

Post by Jerry E »

Thanks Andreas for the information. I will take you up on your offer and visit your shop when I can. Hope you don't mind answering alot of questions.
Jerry E
The Cabinet Guy