inside transom

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jim hays

inside transom

Post by jim hays »

I know AJR said that orginaly they just sprayed the inside of the hull with varnish but I would like to klnow if you guys stain the inside face of the transom. I put a lot of screws in the vertical boards when I replaced it and at this time I dont plan on filling in the holes but looking at everything that needs to be stained makes me wonder if this should be done. I hope to be putting on the first layer of deck later today. Also would anyone have information on what the angle (degree) the seat back should be. Im going to try to make seats like a 60 sea-coaster special. And straight up would be to uncomfortable for any lenght of time sitting. I have figured out the base heigth to be about 10" and will use patterns that I make to do the rest of the back to back seats. Again guys thanks for the help and suggestions. Keep it above water Jim Hays
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

I did not stain the inside of my transom.... nor the seats... just the inside vertical edge of the gunwale and the dash.

I forgot whether you are putting in a front or back seat... the back of the front seat on my Seacoaster Runabout (1960) is 95 degrees in relation to the front bench...

That reminds me that I need to find someone with the angle for the rear flip up back seat as I am added one of those this year...

John.
jim hays

transon &N seat

Post by jim hays »

Thanks John this really helps Jim
a j r

Post by a j r »

On all the Thompson Bros. boats that I have seen the inside of the transom is stained and the seats are also stained.

Screws on the inside of the transom are not bunged with a wood plug or puttied over.

Andreas
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Jim.. I forgot one other thing... I also stained the inside of the top strake... Shearstrake.....

It was stained when I got the boat, and looked like it had been that way for quite a while.

Have fun.

John.