outer keel and outer stem

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

lagakos

outer keel and outer stem

Post by lagakos »

Hello out there!

I'd appreciate some advice: I have a 1960 17' lancer lapstrake and have a leak in the outer keel. On my boat, the outer keel begins about a foot forward of the windshield and runs back to about 18" before the transom. At the forward end, it joins another piece of wood that's exactly the same size and runs forward. Here are my questions:

1. At the forward end of the outer keel, is the piece that it joins to an 'outer stem' or is THE stem ? If it is an outer stem, does one remove and recaulk it just like the outer keel?

2. At the aft end of the outer keel, there is narrow piece of metal that extends to the transom and then bends and attaches to the back of the transom. I think this could also be a source of leaks and wonder whether I should remove it, caulk, and replace it, or whether (if I install a new outer keel), just run the new keel back to the transom.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

ps: I may have mistakenly sent this message to only andreas previously. If so, sorry for any confusion.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi, Is this a boat by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WI OR Thompson Boat Co. of New York, Inc. at Cortland, NY?

IF this is a Peshtigo built boat, the following responses apply:

1. Yes, there is an outer an inner stem. The outer stem is screwed from the outside of the boat thru the planking into the inner stem. There most likely is a carriage bolt near the junction with the keel. And yes, you can remove the outer stem, clean it up and clean under it, reseal, recaulk, and reattch it.

2. Yes, remove the metal trim over the junction of the two garboard planks at the stern. Clean under it, reseal, recaulk and attach a new piece of metal trim (or reuse the old one if it's in good shape). Do not extend the outer keel to the transom if you install a new one. There was a reason Thompson constructed the boat the way they did it.

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions. And no, I do not recall having heard from you previously.

Andreas
lagakos

outer keel and stem

Post by lagakos »

Dear Andreas,
thanks for the reply and your advice.
Mine is a Courtland, NY boat. Upon first examination, I don't see any bolt holes on the stem (or outer stem). Does this mean that it may be the actual stem? I see what I think is a small area of surface rot in the stem where the metal guard was screwed in. If I have an outer stem, then I'd replace the whole thing. However, if its the actual stem, I'm not sure what to do.
Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.
Steve
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Steve, I too have a Cortland Sea Lancer with all the same issues as yours. I am pretty sure it's a stem cap, just based on the gap I see on mine. I seem to recall a carrage bolt at the junction of the stem and keel. I can check when I get home from work. If there is one, it would likely be covered by a wood plug. Perhaps you could lift the floor in the bow section behind the bulk head to find it.

I plan to caulk the outside of the keel and stem caps, that metal strip, and the garboards with 3M 4200 as a temp fix (4200 is easier to remove, but is still underwater rated). Then after this season take it apart as described above by AJR and do it up right. I dont want to get into it now or the boat wont see water till next year.

Go here for pics of my lovely craft:
http://home.comcast.net/~gammasjunk/wsb ... html-.html
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
a j r

Post by a j r »

I cannot respond to the specific construction details of the Cortland made boats. I have NO experience with them. I imagine that they had seperate inner and outer stems.

Andreas
lagakos

Post by lagakos »

Dear Peter,
Thanks for the info. Let me know what you find out. I will check below the floor boards near the bow. Will let you know. I suspect there is a stem cap (certainly hope so).
My hope is to do a temporary fix for now and then flip her over in the fall and do a thorough job. If the temporary fix doesn't stop the leak, then I might have to flip her now.
Thanks
Steve

PS: Your boat looks great. Mine is similar, but with a mahogany foredeck and a benchset in the fron (with a small swinging door). The original owner also put a mahogany seat in the back. If I can figure out how to attach photos one of these days, I will send some along.
lagakos

Post by lagakos »

Dear Andreas,
Thanks anyway. I will let you know what I find out.
Steve
lagakos

Post by lagakos »

Dear Andreas,
I've checked my (Courtland NY) Thompson Lancer Lapstrake and it looks like there must be a keel cap because there's a carriage bolt coming up through the keel with a nut that I can see from inside the boat just forward of the windshield. Actually there are 2 carriage bolts, with the rear one securing the keel cap.

What I can't tell from outside the boat is how far forward the stem cap runs. Can you tell me how the Peshkigo's are built? That is, does the stem cap extend above the waterline and all the way to the tip of the bow?

Thanks,
Steve
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi Steve, If you are talking about the outer stem, it starts at the junction of the outer keel and ends at the deck. It is a stem bent piece of white oak.

It's Cortland by the way, not Courtland.

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

I checked mine out and with out a doubt there is a stem cap -

To post pictures load them up to a photo sharing site (i recommend www.photbucket.com, it's free). Once uploaded there is a piece of html code labled IMG under the picture that you copy into your message. Easy Peasy (as my Mom would say).

Good luck with your project. Looking forward to pictures!
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
lagakos

Post by lagakos »

Thanks Peter and Andreas,
My plan is to try to do a temporary fix for now and then flip the boat and do things right after labor day. If the temporary fix doesn't work, then I will probably haul her out and start on the permanent fix now.
will keep you posted.
Steve
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

by the way - I noticed I typo'd the web site .... www.photobucket.com

Good luck with her!
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware