Finished with my '62 Sealancer Refurb!

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

mengelmar

Finished with my '62 Sealancer Refurb!

Post by mengelmar »

Some pics of my recently completed refurb of a '62 Sealancer formerly bound for the burn pile. I picked up the boat for free last October.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/ ... atside.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/ ... tside2.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/ ... tfront.jpg
johnpthompson

Post by johnpthompson »

Looks great. I love the creative adaptation on the front deck and on and the bump rail. The great thing about wooden boats, they are easily customized.

Thanks for keeping another Thompson boat plying the waters.
mengelmar

Post by mengelmar »

Thanks for the kind words, John. I was a little hesitant to post the pics because I opted not to do a true restoration to original. Now all I have to do is get the outboard to quit leaking gearcase lube out the exhaust!

On my way to work this morning I spied a TomBoy up for sale. The wife is going to hit the roof if I come home with another boat. We'll see. It is a long winter.
johnpthompson

Post by johnpthompson »

Some are more purists than I. I felt better about modifications after seeing Chris Smith's 27 foot or so Sea Skiff with a plank and caulked front deck, floor and a number of other "improvements." All in the keeping with the heritage of wooden boats, if not that particular model. If the grand-son of the Chris Craft clan can personalize his boat, why not the rest of us? By the way, his boat is a show-stopper.

Since many of the Thompson boats had all sorts of accessories placed on them by the dealers, I think we should have some leeway.

On the Thomboy... My name is John and I am a boataholic...so I understand completely.
a j r

Post by a j r »

I agree - very nice. And your customizing is fine - at least you didn't try to turn her into a bow rider (that's what I am contending with on my most recent restoration)!

Andreas
john

Post by john »

The gear lube you are seeing, is most likly unburned oil in the gas fuel mixture.
mengelmar

Post by mengelmar »

John,

Thanks for the advice. I wish it was that simple but the oil in the exhaust was definitely gear lube. The drive shaft is deeply grooved where the gear case lip seal rides and is currently at the machine shop.
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

John, I am having same gear lube problem with my 64 90hp Johnson, definitly gear lube not oil gas mix. was your driveshaft worn on seal under water pump? I am assuming that is were leak on mine is. Was the impeller covered in lube?
Thanks Dan
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
mengelmar

Post by mengelmar »

Capt. Dan,

My driveshaft was grooved at the place where the lip seal under the water pump rides and also where the upper impeller housing seal sits. Strangely enough, I did not find tons of oily gunk in the water pump so I'm not yet clear on the route the oil took to get to the exhaust. I did have some water in the gearcase as well so that is what drove me to replace the driveshaft seals and get the grooves filled. I'll let you know how it turns out.
john

Post by john »

Gear case oil would drip out of prop shaft seal if worn, not exhaust.. A worn out seal under water pump would allow water in. Have you pressure cheched gear case, thats the factory way other determining leaking seals. Most seals will work ok even with groves.

Gease gease does not have a clear path to exhaust unless gearcase is cracked.
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

I am starting to believe that my gearcase is cracked. I replaced upper seals and lower shaft seal but when i test ran it heavy oil came out of exhaust and vent at front of gear case by water pump. Water was eveident in oil in lower unit and this was from running maybe 5 miins.
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
mengelmar

Post by mengelmar »

Capt. Dan-

I'm with John, definitely pressure test the gearcase and submerge it. Then you can follow the bubbles...
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

That sounds great ---how do you preserize this case?????
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
mengelmar

Post by mengelmar »

Capt. Dan-

You pretty much need to adapt a schrader type valve stem to fit one of the gearcase plug holes. When attached you can use a bicycle pump with a good gauge to get 5 psi in the gearcase. Then you can submerge it and check for leaks. OR you can take the gearcase and drive shaft to your local outboard repair shop and they ought to be able to test it for you for a small fee.
mengelmar

Post by mengelmar »

Well I should have listened to the voice of experience (namely John). As it turns out I pressure tested the gearcase after having the driveshaft smoothed and installing new seals and found no leaks. After re-installing the lower and running the outboard I am still getting the gray oily gunk from the exhaust and small drain port as before. John was completely correct that this was nothing more than unburnt oil from the mix. Oh, well at least it forced me to get familiar with the gearcase removal and seal replacement procedures. Plus I picked up a complete spare lower unit on ebay since most of the parts in the gearcase are unavailable now.

Thanks again for your input John, I'll clean out my ears next time!