Attaching the Deck

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

TreelineIII

Attaching the Deck

Post by TreelineIII »

I sure am glad that the reunion is not until next year. I have been making slow but steady progress, but this year just does not seem very likely to launch my '59 Vacationer. I have cut the deck pieces (9mm)and am now approaching the step of attaching them. I recall when I pulled off the deck at the start (a long time ago) that it was nailed down along the gunnels with 3/4" brads, and then at the bow there were screws which were ultimately covered with the Mahogany trim boards. I expect that I would bed the plywood on to 5200 and then have the nails and srews to assure the tight seem. Does this seem right? Also I thought that I would coat the deck pieces top and underside with CPES before I attach. Did all of you use stain on the deck as well? If so then I presume that you did this before the CPES, right? thanks for your insight as always.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hey, Yup, use 3M5200 or similar for attaching the plywood deck to the framing. Also the nails and screws as done in the original. I also use clamps while the adhesive is curing. Stain the wood before applying CPES.

Andreas
TreelineIII

Post by TreelineIII »

Thank you Andreas. I appreciate the confirmation.