Proper glue to use for new transom

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Jerry E

Proper glue to use for new transom

Post by Jerry E »

I need help with the following questions. I have talked to a few suppliers and boat builders and have been getting different advise. What is the proper glue to use for these three applications below.

I am restoring a 1966 Thompson Sea Coaster.

1) When glueing up solid mahogany boards horizontally for my new transom, what glue should I use?

2) When screwing / glueing solid mahogany boards vertically to the horizontal boards, what glue should I use?

3) When screwing / glueing (bedding) the new transon to the hull planks, what glue shoud I use?
Jerry E
The Cabinet Guy
Rodney Syverson

Transom Adhesive

Post by Rodney Syverson »

Jerry: 3M 5200, 3M 5200, and 3M 5200. At least this is what Danenberg recomends and after having some problems with my transom after using resorcinol glue for my new transom and experiencing some cracking problems I can appreciate the need for flexibility. I did use 5200 for the bond between the transom and the strakes and that is holding well. My cracking problem was primarily due to not finishing the transom in a timely matter. I built it and glued it one spring and a year and a half later cracks developed. I had not varnished it yet and it went through two humid summers and one bone dry winter. My inquiry to Danenberg on his website was answered in one of his restoration articles in Classic Boating Magazine. His books are a good resource as is his website and numerous people have had similiar problems addressed on his website. Rod Syverson
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi Jerry,

I agree that an adhesive such as 3M5200 is appropriate for your application. I doubt that the horizontal boards of the transom were glued edge to edge originally.

Andreas
john

Post by john »

When I did my transom, I used expoxy for gluing the boards together, except I cut a 1/8 x 1/8" grove between the hoizonal board to act somewhat like an O Ring made out of 5200. It has held up well for three years.

I used 5200 between the transom and lapstrakes. Also used 5200 between strakes ( I completly disassembled boat)

Boat has not leaked a drop in 3 years and 100 hours.
Jerry E

Post by Jerry E »

Thanks for the info. This is the route I will go and will hopefully get some finish on the transom to prevent premature cracking due to humidity, etc.. Thanks for the advise.

Jerry.
Jerry E
The Cabinet Guy