CPES Between Stain and Varnish?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

vernonfarmer

CPES Between Stain and Varnish?

Post by vernonfarmer »

Has anyone used CPES over new stain before varnishing? I have two conflicting opinions on this, both of them from the folks at Smith & Co. Since I used a filler stain, one opinion is that the CPES will not soak through the filler. The other opinion is to make two applications of CPES two days apart. I used the CPES on the bare wood after removing the old varnish and stain. Am I wasting time, money and my lungs putting CPES over the new filler stain or what?

Thanks,
John
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Never used the stuff before, but I'm thinking that if you did a good job of applying on the bare wood, no need to reapply over the stain. Plus, I'd test a small area first to make sure it doesn't discolor the stain, or give a mottled look if it truly does not soak through the filler, but does soak through the stain.

Jus the opinion of the uniformed, inexperienced, rookie boater.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
vernonfarmer

Post by vernonfarmer »

Thanks, Peter,

I feel the same way. I've come too far with this project to screw it up now. First coat of varnish on the way!
a j r

Post by a j r »

I don't know about CPES between staibn and varnish.

However, I suggest using a sealer such as Old Salem Sealer as your first coat on top of the stain. Or the other option is to thin the fist coat of varnish way down to about 25% varnish and 75% mineral spirits. In fact, your first four coats of varnish should be thinned. You get progressively more varnish in each coat as you go until you are at 100% varnish. 25-75, 50-50, 75-25, then 100% varnish. Do NOT sand between coats until you start getting 100% varnish on the wood. You have to have a very clean, dust free environment to get good varnish results.

Andreas