Hook

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Goose

Hook

Post by Goose »

After putting on a new 40 Honda to replace my evinrude 35 lark I have really noticed the difference in handling. This isn't a good thing because I have a hook in the bottom that I never really noticed before. Before I could get on plane without too much trouble. Now It won't get up and and basically just plows through the water. I can get it up to about 15 MPH (gps) before the prop starts to blow out. Lat night I was heading into the wind and it actually handled better and picked up speed, I am assuming due to the wave action on the boat going against the direction of travel verses with. Some things I have noticed are the new engine is heavier but it seems like more weight in the boat seems to help the problem.

Basically I am wondering if and what are any fixes for a boat with a hook. I am going to redo my trailer and extend the bunks past the transom but am figuring that I will have to do more than just that.
Bill Giesecke
Madison, WI
john

Post by john »

My thought as a tempory fix, might be bolting a 4" I beam to the top of the inner keel. Cariage bolts from bottom thur outer keel,inner, keel, and then I beam.

Make it about 7/8 foot long, if it does crack something it should make bottom straight. Mighht have to leave water in bottom a few weeks/months and tighted up the bolts, over time.

Might have to do the same with strings?
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hooks or hogs in the boat bottom are nasty. Use the boat the remainder of the season very carefully and go slow. Get it fixed over the winter. It may mean tearing the boat apart.

Andreas
Goose

Post by Goose »

OK dumb question but what is the difference between a hook and a hog? I'm also wondering if getting the boat back onto a better trailer that supports the transom and takes the weight off of the keel rollers will slowly let it recover.
Bill Giesecke
Madison, WI
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hook and hog are the same thing.

The better trailer might get the boat back into shape, but probably will take years, just like it took years to get out of shape.

Andreas