Varnish vs Humidity

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

vernonfarmer

Varnish vs Humidity

Post by vernonfarmer »

How much relative humidity is too much for new varnish. I'm starting from scratch on freshly stained wood. Hot and humid here in Wisconsin.

Can I at least apply the base coats with humidity in the 80-90% range?

john
a j r

Post by a j r »

I varnish all the time, no matter what the humidity is. Does not seam to pose problems for my work.

Andreas
vernonfarmer

Post by vernonfarmer »

Thanks, Andreas,

I was sure I read somewhere that high humidity posed problems for varnishing. If you say it can be done, that's good enough for me! I might have the Chetek ready for Lake Geneva yet.

John
a j r

Post by a j r »

It was nasty humid yesterday when I varnished. No problems with the final results.

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Only thing I can recall with high humidity when varnishing is that the varnish can take longer to dry throughly. Other then that I have not had problems with humidity.
Temperature however is a different story.
To cool and it take an eternity to dry and you have a greater chance of things like dust and bugs getting stuck in the tacky surface.
To warm and it dries to quickly and does not flow out like you want it to for a smooth finish.

Good Luck!

Phill
vernonfarmer

Post by vernonfarmer »

Progress report: First coat of 25% varnish, 75% mineral spirits is now on the boat. Wow! Looks great already. Can't wait to see it with multiple coats of pure varnish on.

So now the question is...how do I know when I can put the next application on? I know drying time varies but is there a general rule of thumb? One day..two days...couple of hours?

She's sure gonna be pretty!

John
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

I generally wait 24 hrs, but I think you can recoat within 24 hrs... If you do it too soon, it may drag or dissolve/gob up your first coat...

Even though I think some folks put 3 or 4 coats on before they sand, I sanded in between each one... A side benefit was, that if it was not dry enough to create white dust, then it was probably not ready for recoating...

Just a thought.
vernonfarmer

Post by vernonfarmer »

[/img]

Hoping this works to send a photo of my second varnish coat. I'm having a ball with my first varnish project thanks to you guys on the board. Lots of good tips and all of them have worked great so far.

JOhn
vernonfarmer

Post by vernonfarmer »

I can refinish and varnish an old wooden boat but I can't send a picture on the Internet!

john
a j r

Post by a j r »

I'm the moderator and I have not been able to figure out how to post pictures!

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Well, I've never varnished a boat, but here is how you post picures to this forum.

First you need a hosting service. I use photobucket.com. It's Free. Set up an account there.

Then, you upload your pictures to photbucket. Easy and straight forward.
You'll note, under each picture that you post, there are four "tags". One is labled IMG code. Copy and paste that code into the body of your message. When you submit (or preview) the photo will be there for you.

Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
vernonfarmer

Post by vernonfarmer »

Success?
vernonfarmer

Post by vernonfarmer »

Peter,

Thanks for the help! I hope my Chetek looks half as nice as your Sea Lancer when its done. Outstanding!

John

thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Glad to help, your craft looks great. My sea lancer is one of those classics that looks best from a short distance, but thanks for the compliment!
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware